john-56

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
i am trying to put a ht i omega striker 7.1 sound card in my pc how do i get the old one on the mother board off and install the new driver. i am not all that good with this stuff and would like some help. thanks

bilbat

Splendid
By the way, why are you putting in a sound card? You already have a perfectly good RealTek ALC889A sound chip on-board; it already does 7.1, and if you, or anyone you know (outside of your dog, maybe, or a pet bat...) can actually hear a difference, I'll eat that sound card :pt1cable:

General Description
The ALC889-GR/ALC889DD-GR is a high-performance multi-channel High Definition Audio Codec with Realtek proprietary loss-less content protection technology that protects pre-recorded content while still allowing full-rate audio enjoyment from DVD audio, Blue-ray DVD, or HD DVD discs.

The ALC889 provides ten DAC channels that simultaneously support 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel stereo outputs. Three stereo ADCs and one stereo digital microphone converter are integrated and can support a microphone array with Acoustic Echo Cancellation (AEC), Beam Forming (BF), and Noise Suppression (NS) technologies. The ALC889 incorporates Realtek proprietary converter technology to achieve 108dB Signal-to-Noise ratio (SNR) playback (DAC) quality and 104dB SNR recording (ADC) quality, and is designed for Windows Vista premium desktop and laptop systems.

All analog I/O are input and output capable, and headphone amplifiers are also integrated at six analog output ports (port-A to port-F). All analog I/Os can be re-tasked according to user’s definitions.

Support for 16/20/24-bit SPDIF input and output with up to 192kHz sample rate offers easy connection of PCs to consumer electronic products such as digital decoders and speakers. The ALC889 also features secondary SPDIF-OUT output and converter to transport digital audio output to a High Definition Media Interface (HDMI) transmitter.

The ALC889 supports host audio from the Intel chipsets, and also from any other HDA compatible audio controller. With various software utilities like environment sound emulation, multiple-band and independent software equalizer, dynamic range compressor and expander, optional Dolby® Digital Live, Dolby® PCEE program and DTS® CONNECT™, the ALC889 provides the highest sound quality, providing an excellent entertainment package and game experience for PC users.

Features
Hardware Features
High performance DACs with 108dB signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighting)
High performance ADCs with 104dB signal-to-noise ratio (A-weighting).
Meets Microsoft WLP3.10 and future WLP audio requirements
Ten DAC channels support 16/20/24-bit PCM format for 7.1 sound playback, plus 2 channels of concurrent independent stereo sound output (multiple streaming) through the front panel output
Three stereo ADCs support 16/20/24-bit PCM format, multiple stereo recording
All DACs supports 44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/176.4k/192kHz sample rate
All ADCs supports 44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/176.4k/192kHz sample rate
Primary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
Secondary 16/20/24-bit SPDIF-OUT supports 32k/44.1k/48k/88.2k/96k/192kHz sample rate
16/20/24-bit SPDIF-IN supports 32k/44.1k/48k/96k/192kHz sample rate

john-56

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Apologies for the necropost!

Holy crap, does that mean the alc889 on my mobo...
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=CadI5xNLwMYopFyJ&templete=2
Can do S/PDIF-in of DD/DTS 5.1 & decode?

Have you seen any evidence of anyone successfully doing this?

Thanks.

bilbat

Splendid
Hmmm... Don't think there's an existing way to do this in real-time... Can't be positive, as there's about eight million codec-packs around (and about seven million of those will 'break' your machine in one way or another [:lectrocrew:7] ), but not many 'translators'! I'm pretty sure, though, that you could 'roll your own'; but - my bet - you'll have a couple or few hundred hours into getting it to work - ring zero, where the 'intercept' would have to be accomplished, is notoriously difficult to 'program into' - that's why so many programs that have ring zero components (BIOS-linked utilities, iso 'mounters, and the like...) cause such hideous DPC problems with A/V streaming... Also, you'd need to take care that the Xbox/PS3 supports the CODEC you settle on - my understanding is that they have pretty limited options.

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I'm not so sure...
there does seem to be at least a couple of consumer level cards that are capable
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1387732#post1387732

A/V de-sync issues my surface if the sample rate output clock built into the card doesn't know how to auto-sync with the input source's clock.
But if de-sync arises, apparently it's tweak-able with apps like re-clock, but it has it's limitations etc.

But I'd rather use the on-board if I can.

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I'm sorry what are you saying? What's BeSplit?

Assuming my on-board (ALC889) or these cards are not usable for actual decode (YTBD), & are only useful for capturing standard stereo PCM for the purpose of using with a digital mixer etc.

Then if I understand this correctly, users have gone some way towards redirecting a captured DD/DTS stream to another device (AC3filter) for actual decoding.
Perhaps then the same process could be used to redirect the decoded DD/DTS to a HRTF filter in AC3Filter, assuming it has one?

Or perhaps another approach would be to redirect the decoded stream to my Essence ST to do; DH encode, and the DAC?
I suspect this may be trickier though....

But this is getting beyond the original scope of my question which is just:

Can ALC889 be used for DD/DTS capture and decode? And if only capture....
Perhaps the captured DD/DTS can be redirected (as per thread I linked to) to AC3filter or another app. for decoding?

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
Actually I don't think my motherboard has a S/PDIF-in header, so even if it's possible I wouldn't be able to use my ALC889.
Unless Asus sells after-market add-ons for their mobo's which allows one to add a S/PDIF-in header? (doubt it)

So I'll prolly have to use a discrete card, still....
If you think those cards I linked to might be usable for DD/DTS capture + decode, or just capture.
Or you think re-direction to 3rd party apps or cards sound feasible, let me know.

Thank-you.

bilbat

Splendid
Asus?! Didn't catch that... Pulled the manual & read it - you are right: no S/PDIF in at all - can't be an 'accessory' for it, 'cause there's no header for it! You might want to contact ASUS to confirm, though - might be an error in the manual (like "DVI out pot", on 2-24 [:bilbat:9] ), seems really odd that there are two outs (one BP, one header), and no in...

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
It's not uncommon now for on-board audio to only have s/pdif-out, not 100% sure why the trend's gone that way, but it does suck.

Do you know of any cards that might be ideal? (Win 7)
And what do you think of the method of approach "if" I find the right card? (already outlined)

jalyst

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
I have posted there previously and gotten zero response.
But the focus was a little more scattered at that time so I'll try again
I actually hadn't seen that guide so thanks, I'll let this thread die now.
Thanks for your help, wish me luck!

bilbat

Splendid
'Easily done' - Good LUCK! (from the looks of it, you'll need some... [:isamuelson:8] )

'Easily done' always cracks me up - there's a FireSign Theater line:

Prisoner: "I demand to speak to my ambassador!"
Guard: "Dat is beddy easily done, sir - he is in de next cell!"