Sign in with
Your question

In over my head

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2009 2:53:55 AM

So 2 weeks ago I was on here looking for advice for building a new computer and then a week ago I ordered the computer.

I started with the manuals and got the cpu/thermal paste/heatsink installed then I ran into problems.

First off I cant figure out if i should follow the case manual or the mobo manual. Also the Antec 900 case I bought has so many wires and I cant find slots that its saying to find.. for instance I have the Asus P7P55D Pro board and I cant find a RST connector on it for the reset button.

Anyone have any advice how I can get my computer together successfully without to much of a risk of breaking something.. or even is there someone willing to help walk me through doing everything through like msn/aim/yahoo or even webcams and mics..

I could really use some help here seeing has I have this great new comp sitting in pieces and I cant even use it :( 

Any help/suggestions/guide links would be a great help

Thanks!

More about : head

October 5, 2009 3:28:37 AM

I would definitely consult the motherboard manual.

Does the bottom right of your motherboard look like this?

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p7p55d_pre...

NOTE: I don't have the manual sitting in front of me for the motherboard, so I'm working off the photos shown in the preview above. Check your manual.

I have the Antec 902. I think the only change is that the switches for the fan speeds are hardwired into the case for the 902, while they just hang inside on yours. The fans are powered through the molex connectors out of your PSU.

The RST connector should go into the RESET pin (2 of them) on the lower right of the PANEL connections. I would use your mobo manual to figure out the polarities on the pins.

The other cables coming from your front panel likely include the PWR, audio, HDD light, IEEE 1394, and a USB header. The PWR goes into into the respective connection on the PANEL pins of the mobo. The HDD light likewise to the IDE_LED. Make sure you check polarities. The USB header into the ones marked USB on the bottom of the board. The IEEE 1394 goes into this, marked IE 1394_2, again on the bottom portion of the board.

The manual will tell you where the audio line goes, since I can't see it in the pics.

FYI, make sure you have all the mobo standoffs installed in the right locations. They look like this:

http://kona0197.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/standoff.jp...

Let me know if you have any more questions.
m
l
October 5, 2009 3:57:16 AM

Jidonsu said:
I would definitely consult the motherboard manual.

Does the bottom right of your motherboard look like this?

NOTE: I don't have the manual sitting in front of me for the motherboard, so I'm working off the photos shown in the preview above. Check your manual.

I have the Antec 902. I think the only change is that the switches for the fan speeds are hardwired into the case for the 902, while they just hang inside on yours. The fans are powered through the molex connectors out of your PSU.

The RST connector should go into the RESET pin (2 of them) on the lower right of the PANEL connections. I would use your mobo manual to figure out the polarities on the pins.

The other cables coming from your front panel likely include the PWR, audio, HDD light, IEEE 1394, and a USB header. The PWR goes into into the respective connection on the PANEL pins of the mobo. The HDD light likewise to the IDE_LED. Make sure you check polarities. The USB header into the ones marked USB on the bottom of the board. The IEEE 1394 goes into this, marked IE 1394_2, again on the bottom portion of the board.

The manual will tell you where the audio line goes, since I can't see it in the pics.

FYI, make sure you have all the mobo standoffs installed in the right locations. They look like this:

http://kona0197.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/standoff.jp...

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thank is close to what it looks like. However mine has a few less ports. Also the power and reset locations on those pictures do not match my board, infact in the MOBO manual I can't find any mention of a power or reset button hookup area on the mobo thats why I am lost. Also I cant visually find them either.
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 4:02:26 AM

PM'ed you.
m
l
October 5, 2009 4:32:22 AM

The pwr(power) and rst(reset) are momentary contact switches. The polarity(color) does not matter, so you can't go wrong there. The HDD activity led polarity does matter a bit. If you get it wrong, no damage is done, it just won't work.

Colored is positive, and you can usually see a small raised delta on the positive side of the connector.

The USP connectors will be in a block that has a fillled in hole, so it can only go in the proper way.

Don't force anything. All plugs are keyed so they only go in one correct way.
m
l
October 5, 2009 4:37:11 AM

geofelt said:
The pwr(power) and rst(reset) are momentary contact switches. The polarity(color) does not matter, so you can't go wrong there. The HDD activity led polarity does matter a bit. If you get it wrong, no damage is done, it just won't work.

Colored is positive, and you can usually see a small raised delta on the positive side of the connector.

The USP connectors will be in a block that has a fillled in hole, so it can only go in the proper way.

Don't force anything. All plugs are keyed so they only go in one correct way.

Thanks, and also do you know about mounting the mobo in the case? its been suggested to me that the 3 screws i have holding it in is not good enough and the mobo may fry?
m
l
October 5, 2009 7:37:25 AM

Take a deep breath, sit down and relax. I think you're rushing things. Although this is for an i7 build, much of the information here will help:

http://hardwarezone.com/articles/view.php?id=2894&cid=1...

I don't know your motherboard, but it must have more than 3 mounting screws. There should be a diagram in the manual and often the case comes with patterns for specific boards. Also make sure you have the standoffs in place and in the correct mounting holes. A standoff in the wrong place could short out your board. There should be a standoff for each mounting screw - and no others. My board had nine mounting screws.
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:27:03 PM

cgleckman said:
Thanks, and also do you know about mounting the mobo in the case? its been suggested to me that the 3 screws i have holding it in is not good enough and the mobo may fry?

Install a standoff everywhere there is a match with the motherboard and the case. Three is not enough; nine is typical, depending on the size of the motherboard.

You don't want the motherboard to flex or contact the case and develop a short.
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:49:56 PM

geofelt said:
Install a standoff everywhere there is a match with the motherboard and the case. Three is not enough; nine is typical, depending on the size of the motherboard.

You don't want the motherboard to flex or contact the case and develop a short.

Thanks I got 8/9 screws. The 9th hole didn't line up with an open area on the case to put a gold part in.
m
l
!