Honorable
Mar 17, 2012
Hello! I am working on this desktop:

HP Pavilion 1240n
XP media center
Intel 630
200g SATA HDD
1g memory

problem: the pc have been freezing and sometimes rebooting by itself. The last thing it's been doing was freezing right when the Windows logo come up.
I ran a diagnostic software and everything passed except the hard drive. That narrowed it down to the HDD. So I put a new 500g SATA and reinstalled the recovery disk. It was able to install the OS but after rebooting to install Windows it keeps freezing at 34%.
I tried it over and over. Even reinstalling the OS again.
The furthest I get is at 34% and it either freezes or reboots itself and goes on a cycle.

Anyone know what's causing this? I'm stumped.
thanks.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Did you try burning the HP SATA drivers on a disc and install pressing F6 ?
You can go to control panel and system, stop from rebooting on crash, at least so you can read the error number. Maybe it's not the HDD, how are your temps ? If cpu temps are the culprit you need to clean cpu sink and dust inside, maybe replace fan or even thermal paste. Windows XP can take a long time at certain %, it is not an even speed installation, are you sure you waited long enough ?

mti312

Honorable
Mar 17, 2012

Did not try loading SATA driver. Is a new HDD considered 3rd party? I did not know that.

I will try dusting off and checking the temp. It doesnt look like it's overheating tho. But I will do that next.

I am sure it freezes because it was already doing that even before wiped out the c drive.

Thanks !

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
No, SATA is considered a driver not included in XP originally thus "3rd party".
If everything checks with the temps, load SATA drivers on boot before copy files starts.
Reinstalling the OS is the way to go, I meant, no recovery discs as that does not attempt to rescan for new hardware.