Sign in with
Your question

Problems upgradeing with a dell hard drive

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2009 3:48:12 AM

Im trying to upgrade my mother inlaws computer. Its pretty much a complete new system http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite.... I am trying to use their old hard drive from a dell so they dont lose any of there stuff on the hard drive. it wont let me boot so i can copy to the new hard drive i loaded all the drivers on the hard drive but some dell program thats on there just stops it from loading i can go into safe mode and everything.
October 5, 2009 4:22:26 AM

if you can boot up in safe mode from the OS on the dell hard drive then the problem is with a driver . Most probably a video driver , which you should be able to remove using device manager .
Then reinstall the correct driver for the new computer .

m
l
October 5, 2009 4:38:21 AM

Place the old dell hard drive as a secondary hard drive and boot into your BIOS to select the hard drive that came in the new system to be the boot drive. Reboot and if all is well you should boot into windows and be able to see the old hard drive as a secondary drive and copy the data between the drives.

Your old dell drive is likely to be an ATA drive and may need the jumper set to slave to work correctly.

If that doesn't work then you need to come back on and reply in detail what you are doing to we can better understand what is wrong...
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 4:43:22 AM

englandr753 said:
Place the old dell hard drive as a secondary hard drive and boot into your BIOS to select the hard drive that came in the new system to be the boot drive. Reboot and if all is well you should boot into windows and be able to see the old hard drive as a secondary drive and copy the data between the drives.

Your old dell drive is likely to be an ATA drive and may need the jumper set to slave to work correctly.

If that doesn't work then you need to come back on and reply in detail what you are doing to we can better understand what is wrong...

+1
m
l
October 5, 2009 6:48:38 AM

englandr753 said:

This is a good plan , BUT,
If you are installing a fresh copy of windows on the new hard drive do it BEFORE you connect the dells drive . That is simpler and safer since theres no chance of over writing the files on the old drive .

m
l
October 5, 2009 6:55:31 AM

Outlander_04 said:
This is a good plan , BUT,
If you are installing a fresh copy of windows on the new hard drive do it BEFORE you connect the dells drive . That is simpler and safer since theres no chance of over writing the files on the old drive .

Exactomundo ;) 
m
l
October 6, 2009 4:27:48 AM

sorry about the details. im working on formating the new drive right now didnt think about how long it would take. I am trying to avoid haveing to install all new they use xp and have like 6 seperate accounts on it. the harddrive is from a dell 3000 series. it has two extra partitions on it, one a fat, and one fat 32. both unknown other than that ill have to try and get the error code. also when i load dell stuff(its to fast to read it) pops up before windows loads up. sorry about the grammer
m
l
October 6, 2009 2:07:28 PM

The problems you are having is the drivers incompatibility with the new hardware. You can do a repair installation to try to salvage the drive for the new system.

My advice would be to do a fresh installation. I have tried to do what you are doing and it doesn't usually work as good as a fresh installation. I don't recommend doing what you are trying to do as it will cause you headaches and you will likely not work out all the kinks and have problems along the way.

You should do as I first suggested and then create new accounts in start/control panel/user accounts. Copy the data from the old drive to the new shared folder and let them go and select what they want to copy from there and organize themselves.

If its a factor of having an operating system that will install with your new hardware then you may just have to get a new operating system disk which will relieve you of these issues you are having now.

You are likely to spend hours or even days working on what you are trying to do and not get it to work. I know, been there and done that... ;) 
m
l
!