Sign in with
Your question

SSD for server

Last response: in Storage
August 11, 2011 10:55:21 PM

At work, we have a server that runs MYOB and a few other minor programs. We have about 9 clients at once logged in using it. We're thinking about updating to an SSD, but would like one that is reliable above speed.
In everyones opinion/experience, what would be the most reliable one to implement in this situation?

More about : ssd server

August 12, 2011 1:14:07 AM

Any SSD would perform better than a regular hdd. Also don't buy a server/workstation specific SSD since in an article published here on toms we learned that SSD manufacturers use the exact same parts and materials to make the SSDs, being for server/workstation or consumer. The only thing that differs is the SSD internal interface and warranty. There is a thread on the home page developping about best SSDs for the price:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssd-caching,29...
m
l
a c 283 G Storage
August 12, 2011 4:15:01 PM

What will you be using for a data link between the motherboard and ssd? SATA 2.0 3Gb/s, SATA 3.0 6Gb/s, PCIe, or one of the more exotic business enterprise data links?

For reliable, trouble free consumer grade ssd's, there are only 2 left have not developed any major issues or problems - Intel 510 series (SATA 3.0 6Gb/s) and Samsung 470 series (SATA 2.0 3 Gb/s).
m
l
August 13, 2011 7:15:43 AM

I am using a SATA 2.0 connection ATM, but thinking of upgrading the rest of the system in the new future. I'm trying a Corsair Force Series 3, seeing how that goes. So far, so good. But I'll look into the ones you mentioned.
m
l
!