Sign in with
Your question

I/O device error

Last response: in Storage
August 12, 2011 3:14:58 AM

hi guys

i have an ide external hdd enclosure and recently brought a 2nd hand wd 80gb hdd but when i connect it up the comp reads it etc but it doesnt show in my computer, it shows up in disk management but needs to be initialized...

when i try to initialize i get the error I/o device error

is there any way to fix this??

I also have a 40gb maxtor hdd that gives me the CRC error when I try to initialize.
There is nothing wrong with the enclosure as it works fine with my other drives.

any help or fixes would be great im not worried about any data on these drives either.

More about : device error

August 12, 2011 7:13:59 AM

What happens if you connect the drive after starting? It should not install the USB drivers?
Did you install the USB driver for CD mobo? If you have a VIA chipset, you tried all-in-1 drivers?
Have you tried using Disk Management?
August 12, 2011 10:34:02 AM

i dont know what you mean sorry,

it didnt come with a cd just plug n play and i tried to initilize it through disk management but thats when i get the i/o device error.

i tried scanning it with the wd data lifeguard and it came back with too many bad sectors.... does that mean this drive is dead?
a b G Storage
August 12, 2011 3:30:47 PM

morganw said:
i dont know what you mean sorry,

it didnt come with a cd just plug n play and i tried to initilize it through disk management but thats when i get the i/o device error.

i tried scanning it with the wd data lifeguard and it came back with too many bad sectors.... does that mean this drive is dead?

Yes, I would retire this drive. Anything you put on it could become corrupted. If it is still under warranty I would return it for a replacement.
!