Sign in with
Your question

Strange problem with i5 2500k & Graphics cards

Last response: in Overclocking
January 11, 2012 9:57:44 PM

Before i start ill list system specs,

Intel i5 2500k @ stock
Gigabyte z68 mobo
xfx 850 psu (Actually made by seasonic, nom nom)
x2 AMD xfx 6870 in xfire
8gb Mushkin blackline @ 1600mhz (Timings, 9-9-9-24)
Asetec liquid cooler with pull/push config
x2 500gb samsung spinmaster HDDs
Coolermaster Haf x case.

So here is my problem, which is kind of mystery to me (Been overclocking and building my own systems for a few years)
When i overclock my I5 my gpu usuage throttles to about 40-55% (in battlefield 3 and other games)
If i run a benchmark (3d mark 11, 3dmark vantage, heaven dx11 etc...) There scores come out fine/average

I had the GPUs throttling before, but found it was down to not having 2 boxes checked in Programmes>Turn windows features on/off> Microsoft.NET framework 3.5.1

Ive just moved all my hardware into a new case (listed above) and decided to put the i5 upto 4Ghz (Nothing fancy, just got bored and decided to do it)

So after running Prime95 for 3hours, MAX temps were dead on 60c....... Too me this was great.

I went into battlefield 3 and instead of my normal 100+FPS i was sitting around 20-30 with a tonne of stutter. So i uninstalled CCC drivers, safe boot, ran driver sweeper as admin, reboot, reinstall etc......

This made no difference....
I tried swapping the cards round, reseating etc... changing the bridge and nothing was resolving it.

So in the end i put the CPU back to stock and all is fine again, This honestly makes no sense to me, the voltage,temps etc... were all fine on the overclock. and how would overcloking the CPU force the GPUs to throttle back?

Since shifting the CPU back to stock, GPU usuage is back to 100% on both cards in games. and ive no problems.

Its not the power supply as i had x2 nvidida gtx 580's in a few weeks ago helping a friend test his hardware. and ran perfectly fine )And we all know how much power those nvidia cards want at the moment)

If anyone can throw me some suggestions or advice, or anything of use i would very much appreciate it.

Cheers Everyone.
January 11, 2012 10:31:34 PM

Just a thought - any of your overclock settings affecting the PCI express bus speed?
January 11, 2012 10:35:57 PM

Not that im aware of. I went through the whole Bios when i was troubleshooting and didnt find anything out of place.
Related resources
January 12, 2012 12:21:56 PM

Shameful bump.
January 12, 2012 12:54:24 PM

Same problem iam see in a home intel dual core 41rq board no problem in office at the time of service installing os or playing ,take to owners home joined in ups or direct work fine just hang and of in 10 minutes ,problem is not proper earth connection in home it affects cpu no problem call line man for proper earth
January 12, 2012 12:56:38 PM

Same problem iam see in a home intel dual core 41rq board no problem in office at the time of service installing os or playing ,take to owners home joined in ups or direct work fine just hang and of in 10 minutes ,problem is not proper earth connection in home it affects cpu no problem call line man for proper earth
January 12, 2012 11:56:37 PM

Sorry mate, but that made no sense to me :S
!