Sign in with
Your question

What do I need to change on BIOS to get 1866 RAM?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 11, 2012 10:10:22 PM

Problem description (brief):

I had one stick of 4GB at 1333Mhz running perfectly. I bought Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9 2x4GB to run in dual channel, but the motherboard sets it automatically to 1333. What do I need to change in my motherboard BIOS in order to get it running at 1866?

PC Info:
Mobo: GA-990FXA-D3
CPU: AMD FX-8150
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6950
OLD RAM: Kingston 1x4GB 1333Mhz
New RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1866 CL9 (9-10-9-27) CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...
Corsair 750W

My motherboard memory compatibility list: http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Memory/memory_ga-9...
CPU-Z screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/jAspk.png
BIOS DRAM config: http://i.imgur.com/zRlSO.png (the only difference is that mine shows Trfc for DIMM1, DIMM3 90ns
If I modify the bus hz (I don't want, because I don't want to overclock my processor) I can't even access the BIOS, and if I modify the Memory Clock (x6.66, x8 or x9.33), PC does not boot, it says that I have an error due to overclocking and automatically sets it back to 6.66 (1333).

My approach:

I had one stick of 4GB at 1333Mhz RAM running perfectly, but now I have bought 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9). Which is supported according to the "supported memory list" in your website about my GA-990FXA-D3.

I have entered the BIOS and have seen that my bus speed (default) is at 200 with everything at auto for my processor (I don't want to OC it). So I tried to change de DRAM multiplier, which is by auto at 6.66, which sets the RAM at 1333. I tried to change it to 9.33x (1866) but when I restart I receive a BIOS error that there is a problem caused to overclocking and it sets the multiplier back to 6.66.

After that I tried to set the bus to 233 and the multiplier to 8x (1864) but that caused the PC to do not load (couldn't even change it) so I had to replace the old RAM and the motherboard set everything to default again.

The next the step was "Ok, I will try 1600", so I simply tried to set the multiplier to 8x (1600) with the new Corsair RAM. On boot it said the same as when I tried to set it to 9.33x.

Additionally, I want to let you know that the memory is installed in dual channel in slots 1 and 2 [NO][YES][NO][YES] how your manual explains.

I would like to receive detailed instructions on how can I run my memory at the recommended frequency and timings:

PC3-15000 (1866MHz) 9-10-9-27

(extracted from http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...)

I'm looking forward to your reply, I need this hardware to work properly! I need your help this time, EXPERTS! I will try to help the community with my limitated knowledge (this is pretty deep for me) if I get this resolved!

More about : change bios 1866 ram

February 2, 2012 11:31:41 AM

I've had the same problem with the memory. I have yet to clock it to what the specifications have it designed for. I've been doing alot of research about using memory overclocking software, but have read that its not a good supplement. I have not found a viable fix for this. If you figure it please share lol.
February 2, 2012 2:08:19 PM

I contacted GIGABYTE technical support and this is the conversation I had. They will replicate the issue with your hardware if you contact them:

Dear **,

We are glad to hear the problem you mentioned is resolved. Your valuable feedback is the motivation for us to improve and serve you better. Have a nice day! :) 

Regards,
GIGABYTE

Question : It works perfectly with the following manual numbers in DRAM Configuration:

1T/2T Command Timing 2T
CAS# Latency 9
RAS to CAS R/W Delay 10
Row Precharge Time 9
Minimum RAS Active Time 27

TwTr Command Delay 5
Trfc0 for DIMM1, DIMM3 90ms
Trfc1 for DIMM2, DIMM4 160ms
10 Write Recovery Time
8 Precharge Time
48 Row Cycle Time
8 RAS TO RAS Delay

Thanks a lot,
Answer - 1177996
Answer : Dear ****,

Thank you again for your kindly mail. If there is any error message, let us know as well.

If the result is positive, we would appreciate you let us know as well.

Have a nice day! :) 

***************************************************************************************************
It is very important to us that we meet your needs. Please give us your valuable feedback to make sure your experience with our service is positive and productive. Satisfaction Survey is available either on pop up window when this page is closed or on left top of this page.

GIGABYTE takes our customers’ privacy concerns seriously. All data collected is only for internal usage.
***************************************************************************************************

Regards,
GIGABYTE
Question : What I did, and seemed to work, was to set the dram multiplier to 9.33 for the bus frequency of 200. I did not found any DRAM EOCP option at first. I have version F4 and I do not plan to upgrade it (I needed to install another processor to upgrade from F1 to F4).

I set the tRC value to 48, which you are not specifying, and did not touch any voltage setting. I will try to change it to what you said.

Thanks a lot for doing a test with real components Gigabyte! Real nice support service. I will answer with highest possible marks in the satisfaction survey.

Dear ****,

After testing, since this memory module need to be use 1.5 voltage to run this configuration; therefore, please follow the steps below:

(1) Please install both two memory modules on this motherboard.

(2) Enter "BIOS", then load BIOS optimized setting first.

(3) Then enter "MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.)", and set "DRAM E.O.C.P" to "DDR1866".

(4) Please set "DRAM Voltage control" to "1.500V" manual.

(5) Then, enter "DRAM Configuration" and enter "DDR3 Timing Items" to set the frequency and timings to its requirement (9-10-9-27).

Here is the test environment for you to refer:

MB: GA-990FXA-D3(rev. 1.x)
BIOS: F5e
CPU: AMD FX-8150
RAM: 2x4gb Corsair (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9)
VGA: GV-RX70P256V

If you still have any further question or suggestion about our products/service, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will try our best to help you resolve the problem ASAP.

Regards,
GIGABYTE
=============================
Dear ****,

Thank you for your kindly mail and inquiry. About your request, we will try to duplicate the issue you encountered, and we will update this mail as soon as the result comes out.

However, if you do not receive any further information after a week, please feel free to inform us again, sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
GIGABYTE
Question : Hello,
I had one stick of 4GB at 1333Mhz RAM running perfectly, but now I have bought 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance 1866 CL9 (CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9). Which is supported according to the "supported memory list" in your website about my GA-990FXA-D3.

I have entered the MTI in BIOS and have seen that my bus speed (default) is at 200 with everything at auto for my processor (I don't want to OC it). So I tried to change de DRAM multiplier, which is by auto at 6.66, which sets the RAM at 1333. I tried to change it to 9.33x (1866) but when I restart I receive a BIOS error that there is a problem caused to overclocking and it sets the multiplier back to 6.66.

After that I tried to set the bus to 233 and the multiplier to 8x (1864) but that causede the PC to do not load (couldn't even change it) so I had to replace the old RAM and the motherboard set everything to default again.

The next the step was "Ok, I will try 1600", so I simply tried to set the multiplier to 8x (1600) with the new Corsair RAM. On boot it said the same as when I tried to set it to 9.33x.

Additionally, I want to let you know that the memory is installed in dual channel in slots 1 and 2 [NO][YES][NO][YES] how your manual explains.

You say that this exact model of RAM is compatible but it turns to not work with my PC with automatic settings neither changing the multiplier.

I would like to receive detailed instructions on how can I run my memory at the recommended frequency and timings:

PC3-15000 (1866MHz) 9-10-9-27

(extracted from http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengean...)

I'm looking forward to your reply, I need this hardware to work properly! I've always been a fan of Gigabyte motherboards and as a local shop I want to keep my opinion the same.

Thanks a lot,

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-990FXA-D3(rev. 1.x)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.x
BIOS Ver : F4
Serial No. :
Purchase Dealer : pixmania.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : ATi Model : radeon hd 6950
CPU Brand : AMD Model : FX-8150 Speed : 3600
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
Memory Brand : Corsair Type :
Memory Size : 8gb Speed : 1866
Power Supply : 750 W

RAM runnig with all BIOS default config at 1333 and default timings.
Related resources
a b } Memory
a c 100 K Overclocking
February 2, 2012 3:13:54 PM

^That... which is to say, manually set the speed AND the timings AND the voltage to the rated values.
February 2, 2012 5:01:18 PM

That fixed it and made it work. I appreciate your immediate response Cusell. My email is [REMOVED] hit me up some time. Thank you a lot! :) 

Do not post personal emails in public threads. Thanks.
May 6, 2012 5:03:34 PM

I have the same problem, but with the 990FXA-UD7 motherboard F8 and exactly the same ram memory and procesor (FX 8150) I tried setting the bios as mentioned above, but did not work. I need help :( 
!