Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[RIG PICS INCLUDED]HD 5870 Xfire Rig Melting

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2009 1:31:33 PM

Hello,

I posted two questions about my rig a couple of weeks ago( I7 920 , 6GB Mem)... Now I've built it and the pics will be here soon. However, I have a few questions I'd like to share.

I have 2 HD5870's crossfired in a EVGA Tri SLI X58 motherboard.... these two generate a lot of heat when put together. My temps when idle are 34 for the second card and 43C for the first one(the one connected to the monitor), These seem pretty normal to me, However the problem is that when they're under load the temps rise to 75 and 87C for the second and first card respectively.

Are these temps normal? The fans never go over 50% if I can recall correctly. Sometimes while watching HDTV using the Haupauge TV Tuner card the cards throttle up and the displays goes out for a few seconds... Notice this only happens when using the TV Tuner card ( and with one of the channels, strange enough)

The rig has the following setup. Notice maybe less than half an inch of space between each of the cards

___ HD5870 Xfire
___ HD5870 Xfire
___ HD5870 Xfire
___ HD5870 Xfire
_ TVTUNER Haupauhe
__ HT OMEGA CLARO Sound

Also, the first time I built the system it ran fine, but when I tried to run a benchmark using 3d mark, the computer shut down. Then I got a 7F code on the mobo and no display. I figured it was the HDMI cable, somehow 3dmark melted the cable??? or something else happened. After changing the Cable I was able to use only one of the cards.. Later I realized the computer wouldn't boot with a second card , so I changed the XFire bridge, and Voila! everything worked.

So far, the attempt at benchmarking melted an HDMI cable and a Xfire bridge. Also, My TVTuner cannot be used sometimes cuz it causes a GPU Throtlle up and a consequent restart.

What do you experts think of all this ?

Thank you!
October 5, 2009 1:38:36 PM

Sounds symptomatic of a power or a heat issue. You haven't mentioned your PSU or the cooling used in your case. Try running the computer with the side panel off and a fan blowing on it. It is a simple test, that if it passes without issue, points directly at a heat issue. If the problem persists, test each card independently, to see if you can narrow it down to a GPU issue. If both cards fail the test independently, then start looking towards other hardware.

Are you using only one Xfire bridge? That may also be an issue, as I noticed in the Guru3D review of xfire 5870s, they are using two:
http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5870-crossfirex...

I hope something I rambled about is of use to you!
m
l
October 5, 2009 1:48:35 PM

JofaMang said:
Sounds symptomatic of a power or a heat issue. You haven't mentioned your PSU or the cooling used in your case. Try running the computer with the side panel off and a fan blowing on it. It is a simple test, that if it passes without issue, points directly at a heat issue. If the problem persists, test each card independently, to see if you can narrow it down to a GPU issue. If both cards fail the test independently, then start looking towards other hardware.

Are you using only one Xfire bridge? That may also be an issue, as I noticed in the Guru3D review of xfire 5870s, they are using two:

Oh.. I hadn't noticed the double Xfire bridge, I'm going to try that when I get back from work... Excellent suggestion!!

I'm only using one right now. As for the open case config, I tried that and the temps do go down like 5 to 10 degrees for each component (CPU, GPU, NB, etc)... But the problem with the TvTuner is still there. (maybe the tvtuner gets hot itself and transfer the heat to the gpu that it is almost touching)

I'm using a Lian Li V1110 case with air cooling only. I have a noctua PC12 cooler on the CPU and it is very good keeping it at 25/50 in idle/load.

Both cards work independently fine so far...

Thanks for your response Jofa
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 1:49:55 PM

I'm running a 5870 in my desktop rebuild, and I think there may be some issues with the fan speed management. I was playing Crysis on mine at 1920x1080 resolution, 4x AA, very high settings, and about an hour into playing I was getting graphical artifacts when things were burning in game, and also on the textures on some of the gun attachments. Didn't get any crashes, but I also didn't hear the fan spinning up. When I get home today, I think I'll override the fan controls in Catalyst and bump it up to 75% or so and see if the graphical artifacts persist.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:00:58 PM

I don't like the auto-fan setting on my 4870, and if the 5870 is anything like it, then go into CCC and manually set it at a single speed. The auto setting allows to hot of an idle, meaning there is less headroom for head saturation as the card starts to work.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:12:20 PM

wathman said:
I'm running a 5870 in my desktop rebuild, and I think there may be some issues with the fan speed management. I was playing Crysis on mine at 1920x1080 resolution, 4x AA, very high settings, and about an hour into playing I was getting graphical artifacts when things were burning in game, and also on the textures on some of the gun attachments. Didn't get any crashes, but I also didn't hear the fan spinning up. When I get home today, I think I'll override the fan controls in Catalyst and bump it up to 75% or so and see if the graphical artifacts persist.

Yes, I was expecting to hear the fan throttling up when the card was at 87C but I switched to Catalyst and the fan speed was at 40% or so. You can set the fan speed to manual and move the slider to 100% but that is LOUD! and if you have two cards is REALLY LOUD.

Also, according to catalyst when the card is at 87C the temp needle is in the middle of the gauge so maybe that is the normal load temp. Notice that under crossfire there is a 15+ C degree difference between the two cards when under load.

However, I've never gotten any artifacts while playing arma II, actually it runs pretty damn good at max settings given it's a buggy and unstable game. (That's the only game I've installed so far. I'll test crysis when I get it and let you know)

5870's are a beast!
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:14:42 PM

JofaMang said:
I don't like the auto-fan setting on my 4870, and if the 5870 is anything like it, then go into CCC and manually set it at a single speed. The auto setting allows to hot of an idle, meaning there is less headroom for head saturation as the card starts to work.

so, you suggest that I manually set it to say... 100% fan speed all the time?
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:17:49 PM

Can you independently set the fan speeds on Xfired cards, or is does the CCC only allow a single setting for all cards? If independent, try turning up just the overheating card's fan speed.

The CCC will show 40% when the Overdrive section is still locked (click on the key icon) even though it is running on auto. You have to enable the OC features to be allowed to manually set the fan speed. I run my 4870 @ 45% all day, but it isn't snuggled up against another 4870, so obviously not the same situation at all, heh.

I don't know the thermal envelope of the 5xxx series, but if anything like the 48xx, then 87 is highish, but not destructive.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:19:46 PM

100% will get really loud with 2 cards most likely, might want to try 66%-75% first.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:21:26 PM

JofaMang said:
Can you independently set the fan speeds on Xfired cards, or is does the CCC only allow a single setting for all cards? If independent, try turning up just the overheating card's fan speed.

The CCC will show 40% when the Overdrive section is still locked (click on the key icon) even though it is running on auto. You have to enable the OC features to be allowed to manually set the fan speed. I run my 4870 @ 45% all day, but it isn't snuggled up against another 4870, so obviously not the same situation at all, heh.

I don't know the thermal envelope of the 5xxx series, but if anything like the 48xx, then 87 is highish, but not destructive.

Yes, CCC allows you to set the fan speed independently on each card. Ok I'l try to set it to 45% allt he time, but what is if needs more than 45% will I have to manually set it to more before playing? or the CCC will take over eventhoug it is on manual
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:22:47 PM

charlieyv said:
so, you suggest that I manually set it to say... 100% fan speed all the time?

No.

On auto it will turn down to 0% at low load (I am convinced the auto setting is load based, not heat triggered) allowing the card to heat itself up. While this heat isn't damaging on its own, it raises the temperature of the entire card, by not exhausting even baseline heat. When the card starts to work, instead of just cooling the GPU as the fan speed increases, it is fighting the entire heat buildup that occurred while the fan was doing nothing at all. I saw massive improvements to my cards heat issue by even just setting the fan speed on a steady (and silent) 35%. To overclock it to where it is now, I only needed 45% to bring the temps back down to where they were at stock speeds.

Each rig has it's own issues and preferences. Try manually setting the speeds at different levels, running furmark and GPU-Z to monitor heat, and see if there is a set-up that keeps it all stable.

Of course, if the lack of a second Xfire bridge was your problem the whole time, this might all be academic.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:24:14 PM

Haha, lots of posting while posting :D 

You can modify CCC settings on the fly. Just keep it open (with your GPU-Z sensor page as well) and alt-tab over from gaming or benching to make changes.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:25:47 PM

The highest temp I've seen under load of course, is 88C ( on one of the cards, the other one 78C) while playing Arma II with all settings maxed out at 1900x1200 res.. It ran smoothly no artifacts or weird behavior at all. But, the fan was at 50% or so.

I check the temp and fan speed by pressing alt + tab and switching to CCC I hope that there is no problem with cheking the temps that way.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:28:59 PM

JofaMang said:
No.

On auto it will turn down to 0% at low load (I am convinced the auto setting is load based, not heat triggered) allowing the card to heat itself up. While this heat isn't damaging on its own, it raises the temperature of the entire card, by not exhausting even baseline heat. When the card starts to work, instead of just cooling the GPU as the fan speed increases, it is fighting the entire heat buildup that occurred while the fan was doing nothing at all. I saw massive improvements to my cards heat issue by even just setting the fan speed on a steady (and silent) 35%. To overclock it to where it is now, I only needed 45% to bring the temps back down to where they were at stock speeds.

Each rig has it's own issues and preferences. Try manually setting the speeds at different levels, running furmark and GPU-Z to monitor heat, and see if there is a set-up that keeps it all stable.

Of course, if the lack of a second Xfire bridge was your problem the whole time, this might all be academic.

jajajajajajaja yes... I am using a single bridge right now... It makes a lot of sense to use two now, I'll try that asap as soon as I get back from work. I am starting to look at water cooling solutions for this...
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:34:13 PM

charlieyv said:
The highest temp I've seen under load of course, is 88C ( on one of the cards, the other one 78C) while playing Arma II with all settings maxed out at 1900x1200 res.. It ran smoothly no artifacts or weird behavior at all. But, the fan was at 50% or so.

I check the temp and fan speed by pressing alt + tab and switching to CCC I hope that there is no problem with cheking the temps that way.

CCC doesn't log the temps (as far as I noticed, anyway) that is why I use GPU-z, the second that you tab over from 3D to 2D (game to desktop), the temps will drop dramatically. With GPU-z, the sensors page is very good at looking at recent changes in temps (and also across the hardware). Just a suggestion, but you asked, heh.
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:42:21 PM

JofaMang said:
CCC doesn't log the temps (as far as I noticed, anyway) that is why I use GPU-z, the second that you tab over from 3D to 2D (game to desktop), the temps will drop dramatically. With GPU-z, the sensors page is very good at looking at recent changes in temps (and also across the hardware). Just a suggestion, but you asked, heh.

Excellent data you are providing me, I'll use GPU Z from now on to check on the temps jeje

Can't wait to use my new rig again :( 
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:46:13 PM

I'll upload some pics and screenshots later today, so you can see how the mobo is configured. and the setings,temps, and loads as well. I'm very happy with my 4000$ investment, the only downside is just not having it with me everywhere jejeje.

Im thinking about setting up a VPN just to keep in touch with it from work jaja
m
l
October 5, 2009 2:51:20 PM

Haha, will check back, sounds like once its sorted out, the rig would wet pants.
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:03:04 PM

JofaMang said:

BTW my psu is a Corsair HX1000
m
l
October 5, 2009 5:07:38 PM

Yeah, your PSU shouldn't be a problem :p 
m
l
October 6, 2009 12:04:01 AM

JofaMang said:
Yeah, your PSU shouldn't be a problem :p 

I added the second Xfire bridge... no noticeable change..
m
l
October 6, 2009 5:17:11 AM

Assuming you are aren't using the melted xfire bridge as your second, I am pretty fresh out of ideas. The next step I would take, would be to obtain another PSU for testing purposes, just to be sure that it can be crossed off the list. Also, testing the ram, again, just to be sure. I can't see if you tried running the computer with side of the case off, again, to be sure it isn't a heat issue.

Is your TV Tuner card being used as a TiVO type device? If so, and the shut downs are occuring during heavy HDD usage, again, test out another HDD to eliminate it as a possible cause.

If all these tests are fruitless, Then I would say return/exchange the mobo and hope for the best, heh.
m
l
October 6, 2009 12:51:56 PM

JofaMang said:
Assuming you are aren't using the melted xfire bridge as your second, I am pretty fresh out of ideas. The next step I would take, would be to obtain another PSU for testing purposes, just to be sure that it can be crossed off the list. Also, testing the ram, again, just to be sure. I can't see if you tried running the computer with side of the case off, again, to be sure it isn't a heat issue.

Is your TV Tuner card being used as a TiVO type device? If so, and the shut downs are occuring during heavy HDD usage, again, test out another HDD to eliminate it as a possible cause.

If all these tests are fruitless, Then I would say return/exchange the mobo and hope for the best, heh.

Actually the computer is working fine right now. After I changed the xfire bridge and the HDMI cable, I've had no problems. I have it OC @ 3.7 with cpu temp at 30/60 which is very good. The ATI cards should be manually set to 70 Fan speed before playing so the temps dont go over 70C under heavy load. I tried that and it works fine on my setup.

Hope you enjoyed the pics

Regards,

CH
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2009 2:59:43 PM

Awesome, enjoy!
!