Too much thermal paste.

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi.
I recently installed a 212 evo heat sink in preparation to overclock my 2500k.
I watched a youtube tutorial video on how to install a heat sink as this was my first attempt at such an endeavour, unfortunately I missed the part about only applying a pea sized amount and applied enough to cover the whole cpu with out taking into consideration that the joining of the cpu and heatsink would spread the compound.
Hence too much paste. (it didn’t seep out of the sides however)

My cpu is running from about 27-35c in idle and about 45-50 at load, this is the stock clock sped; I'm planning to overclock to about 4.5 tomorrow afternoon.
Should I continue in my attempt to overclock and see what happens with the temps? Or delay it and order some new thermal paste for a correct application?

Solution
^ concur
Also as Delluser indicated, need room temps.ie My I5-2500k (Zalman 9900Max HSF) @ 4.2 Ghz: idle 22->25 C for the four cores and just under 60 C running prime 95, BUT my room temp was a chilly 18 C (66F). For every deg F above would add about 1 C increase in my temps.

What program did you use to "load" the CPU? Recommend you use prime 95. Since you plan on Ocing, you will need to run Prime 95 to verify system stability, and Prime 95 will raise temps more than say running a game.

CPU temp, is that the spread for your 4 cores (27->35 for Idle & 45->50 load) ? If it is "CPU temp and NOT for the individual cores, you need to look at the individual cores, not CPU temp.

Also, agree with Delluser, if these are for the...

Kass

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
The way i always apply thermal paste is a small blob in the middle, and i spread it out abit, i dont let the 2 compressed part do all the work, if you manually spread a nice even coat, as thin as possible, then put the parts together you should see a nice improvement in temps. and you will no you got a nice even coat of thermal paste too.

As for your temps, my cooler is different to yours, but my load temps at 4.2ghz are 60c after 3hours of prime95

If it didn't seep out the sides, what makes you think it was too much ?
The temps, they look fine, then again there's no base-line to judge against ( room temp. )

^ concur
Also as Delluser indicated, need room temps.ie My I5-2500k (Zalman 9900Max HSF) @ 4.2 Ghz: idle 22->25 C for the four cores and just under 60 C running prime 95, BUT my room temp was a chilly 18 C (66F). For every deg F above would add about 1 C increase in my temps.

What program did you use to "load" the CPU? Recommend you use prime 95. Since you plan on Ocing, you will need to run Prime 95 to verify system stability, and Prime 95 will raise temps more than say running a game.

CPU temp, is that the spread for your 4 cores (27->35 for Idle & 45->50 load) ? If it is "CPU temp and NOT for the individual cores, you need to look at the individual cores, not CPU temp.

Also, agree with Delluser, if these are for the individual cores then they are acceptable and I would proceed to OC and reverify temps and stability, USING prime95 to load cpu. If temps appear to high in OC, then Yes you would first redo the thermal paste.

Solution

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
If it didn't seep out the sides, what makes you think it was too much ?
The temps, they look fine, then again there's no base-line to judge against ( room temp. )

Because all of the information I got suggested that I should have applied a pea sized drop and let the pressure of the heatsink spread the paste out. I however applied about three quarters of the tube and used a piece plastic wrap on my finger to spread the compund.
It's summer time here (Australia), so my room is pretty warm. 30 c average at the moment.

Also, agree with Delluser, if these are for the individual cores then they are acceptable and I would proceed to OC and reverify temps and stability, USING prime95 to load cpu. If temps appear to high in OC, then Yes you would first redo the thermal paste.

I'm using intel burn test on standard mode to load to 100% and real temp gt to monitor the temps and load percentage; yes it displays all four cores.

After about 30 minutes at 100% load 3 of the cores float just under 50c and one core gets to 55c but not over.
I'll try with prime 95 when i get home.