Cant install any os

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I just built my first system, and i turned it on loaded win 7 ultimate, and right off the bat i got a blue screen, but then it seemed ok after a restart, then in the bios i overclocked the cpu just a bit from 2.8 to 3.4 i have a liquid cooling system by the way. then i kept getting blue screen errors , so i tried to reinstall the os, and now it wont install any os at all. it blue screens in the middle of the install.

What are your complete system specs? BSOD's are most often caused by RAM problems. Did you manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS?

Why in the world would you think overclocking was a good idea if you got a BSOD at stock settings?

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
my specs are this

thermaltake armor mx case
nvidea nforce 680i sli motherboard
4gb of corsair twin xmx2 (2 x 2gb)
thermaltake 850watt sli Power supply
2x geforce 8800gt alpha dog ed. 512mb ea.
1 lg blu ray drive
1 lightscribe drive
thermaltake bigwater 760i

and as for the last question the answer is because im an idiot. And it was my first sytem and i just couldnt wait to overclock it.

i think maybe i should try to reset the whole bios back to the way it was when i first turned it on, but i dont know how i can do that

and i read about the ram so i took it out and put it back in i got the same thing.

You didn't list what brand your motherboard is, but your motherboard manual will have instructions on how to reset the CMOS. There are usually a couple pins that you short with a jumper to reset the CMOS.

Which exact RAM kit do you have? All these match your description:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=1052315794&Description=corsair%20xms2%202%20x%202gb&name=4GB%20%282%20x%202GB%29

The RAM should have a sticker on the side with its rated speed/timings/voltage. You then have to manually set those settings in the BIOS. Again, your motherboard manual will have instructions on how to change the RAM settings.

I wouldn't rule out a heat problem either. Perhaps your water block isn't installed correctly or the system has air bubbles in it. What does your CPU temp show in the BIOS?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Quote:"i overclocked the cpu just a bit from 2.8 to 3.4". That is NOT "just a bit". Reset the BIOS to "optimized settings", make sure the system is stable, then start working your way up more slowly.

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
here is the link to the ram
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145184

here is the manual to the mother board its evga
http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/files/122-CK-NF68.pdf

last i looked the temp was like around 50 degrees, what should it be? and do i look at the c or f

the watercooling is working but it doesn't have good flow at all theres a lot of air in the system at the top where it comes out of the cpu, but i have a flow valve and the flow valve does show movement. Could it really be that? it looks like its just trickling through. but the cpu temp seems ok, forgive me im still learning

last night i reset the bios back to orig setting, and i finally got win 7 ultimate to install but right when it brought me to the desktop for the first time, it blue screened, and it did it so fast then restarted, i couldnt get the codes.

Sounds like you've got multiple issues going on. Most BSOD's are caused by faulty RAM. I would run Memtest86+ overnight to test for RAM errors.

You didn't list what CPU you have, but A 50C idle temp is very high. You need to either figure out how to get your water cooling working properly or just leave everything at stock speed and use the stock cooler. There shouldn't be any air bubbles in your water system. There should be instructions on how to properly purge the system. No offense, but it seems you're trying to run before knowing how to walk. You need to spend some quality time reading manuals and tutorials.

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ok im definatly gonna look into getting the water cooling to work properly. i have other ram ill also try to put that ram in and see if i get any errors.

my cpu is the core 2 quad q9550 2.8ghz

i bet it probably does have everything to with the cooling because ive read people ocing this chip to 3.8 no problem

i even downclocked at one point to 2.6 and it still gave problems, either its getting to hot, or its the ram.

so now i reset the bios to stock, im gonna first fix the water cooling then if the temp is low and the problem is still there then i have to change the ram. If that doesnt work ill be posting more updates

Thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ive swapped out the memory, and still had the same issue, i even have the bios do a mem test now when i turn on the co mputer, it comes up ok, i tightened the nut on the liquid cooling system flow valve, and now it has nice flow, there must have been air getting in, now the pc is running around 30-35 degrees, and i was able to install win 7 last night and no problems yet, i also ran a chkdsk and that came up no errors too. I think the liquid cooling was the issue, during installation it was overheating and giving me the bsod. now that its flowing nice and running cool no more bsod's for the time being. Thankyou for all the help

peezon1979

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
ok now im still getting bsod. Ive changed out the ram, it still did it so i put the ram back in, i fixed the liquid cooling issue, the cpu is running at 34 degrees, Ive run chkdsk on the hard drive and that came up fine, the gpu's seem to be functioning properly, everything looks fine, What else could it be?

This is driving me crazy

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Go to websites or whatever for both your RAM and your CPU. Get the proper spec's for the voltages each needs, and also the recommended RAM timing specs. Then go into your BIOS Setup screens and check what your BIOS actually is doing for those items. Sometimes the BIOS gets it wrong. For example, I've seen several posts where the BIOS was providing a RAM voltage too low and manually setting it to specs fixed a problem.