Sign in with
Your question

Need good 2.1 speakers for about $150

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2009 12:15:39 AM

I'm looking to replace my blown Logitech speakers. $150 is what I want to spend, but I can go a tiny bit over if it gets me a lot better quality. I use them for gaming and music mostly (I don't want 5.1 though, since my room/computer isn't set up to place speakers around). I'm not an audiophile in the sense that I know what to look for in sound, but I do appreciate great quality.

Any suggestions on what I should be looking at?

More about : good speakers 150

December 23, 2009 2:25:32 AM

I second those Logitech Z-2300, although the price has gone up significantly. They were $99 about 5 years ago. They are really good speakers. Nice and loud. The base is clean and booming. If you live in an apartment or condo, then I would not recommend these because you will get the cops called on you for disturbing the peace. I live in a single family house and I barely have them up to half an the house is rockin'.
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2009 3:35:44 AM

I looked at those, but had a few concerns:

1) I've used Logitech for years and been happy with them, but only just now am I starting to care about quality and am starting to become an actual "audiophile". My concern with Logitech is if it is just one of those brands that are mass produced and highly marketed (like Dell stuff). Non informed people may not see a difference, but most everyone who knows a lot about it knows that there are better things out there for the price.

2) masterasia mentioned they were cheaper 5 years ago....does that mean they are old speakers? There hasn't been anything better made in 5 years?

3) The speakers point "up". Is this going to be an issue if the sound is shooting upwards instead of forwards like most speakers?
m
l
December 23, 2009 11:11:28 AM

1. Logitech is very quality, and there are a few basics to look in for speakers, which this set definitely has.

2.i dont know when they were made, but why fix whats not broken :D 

3. most speakers point up so dont worry about it.

this set is amazing, and i highly recommend getting it :) 
m
l
December 23, 2009 7:11:31 PM

I actually have the klipsch speakers in the link above. I really don't think your going to beat them for 150.00 or under.
m
l
December 23, 2009 7:14:37 PM

i have heard a lot about those speakers, so they might as well have my vote if you dont want the logitech.
m
l
December 23, 2009 7:16:00 PM

On a side note, I bought mine used on ebay for 65.00 USD
m
l
December 23, 2009 10:34:54 PM

I just listened to the Klipsch setup at Best Buy today. The logitechs they had set up were blown, so I couldn't compare, but they sounded pretty good. When I first started listening to them, it sounded like the high's overpowered the low's a little too much. Like there was too much treble or something. Do you notice that at all?
m
l
December 24, 2009 3:46:15 AM

I don't have that problem at all, are you sure they are the same speakers in the link?

There should be a sub-woofer adjustment on the left speaker. I set that to around the 9:00 or 10:00 position.
m
l
December 24, 2009 3:51:24 AM

The Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 are the best for around $150. I enjoy high quality audio and I have a strong dislike for Logitech speakers. My old Altec Lansing sound much better and don't have the muffled sound the Logitech speakers have. The Klipsch are available at Best Buy. A great buy at that price point. You won't be disappointed.
m
l
December 24, 2009 10:51:01 PM

Ya I went ahead and ordered the Klipsch. It was between that and a set of AudioEngine A2's.
m
l
!