Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC Power Supply

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2009 12:17:27 AM

Hi all. I am new to this forum. Please guide me along. I would like to ask a question with regards to my power supply.

I have just built my desktop a few days ago and it was working fine. I even managed to install windows and some programs for the past 2 days. However, on the 3rd day(today), when I turn on my desktop, the power supply just gave a loud 'bang' and started smoking. I immediately turned out every single power source that is connected to my pc, which includes PSU, monitor, speakers etc.

Why does this happen? Will other parts in my CPU be fine? I have built my own PC before, but this is the first time I am experiencing this. Is it because of a short? But if so why am i able to use it for 2 days?

Here are my PC Specs just for your reference in case you need.
Intel Core i7-920
Asus P6T Deluxe V2
Team Xtreem Dark 1600MHz 3X2GB RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD 5870
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
LG DVD Writer
PC Power and Cooling 750W

CoolerMaster HAF 922

More about : power supply

Best solution

a c 77 ) Power supply
December 23, 2009 1:52:58 AM

Sorry to hear about your system!! It is unusual to hear issues with a PC Power&Cooling PSU, since they are generally considered one of the best.

It can happen for various reasons; faulty PSU (most likely), power surge, short, over load (system demand higher than PSU can handle)... Etc. Your other components should be fine but can't say for 100% nothing else was damaged.

I recommend testing your system with a secondary PSU to make sure no other damage. If PC works, RAM the PSU for a replacent.
a b ) Power supply
December 23, 2009 1:58:14 AM

A decent PSU can fail, but other system components usually aren't damaged.
m
l
December 23, 2009 2:18:35 AM

Thanks for the quick reply and yes I am very surpised my PSU smoked as well since PC Power and Cooling is quite an awesome brand.

With this setup, I shouldnt be having an overload right? Since I just turned on the PC and it just had a loud 'bang'.

I am hoping that nothing goes wrong with the other parts, since I am still a student and have drilled a hole in my pocket getting this system.
m
l
!