AMD3+ CPU Cooling Advice - 1090T

RD2Engineering

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I am in the midst of a new build for CAD, photoshop, simulation and analysis (no gaming):

AMD 1090T (solid 3D modeling and data analysis performance on a budget)
Biostar TA990FXE motherboard (all about the bang for the buck)
ATI FirePro v4900 Graphics Card ($$$/Performance = wow for CAD)
OCZ Fatal1ty 750W modular PS (top mount, modular, bronze, enough for me)
Patriot Pyro 60GB SSD (Operating system / programs only)
2x4 GB GSkill RipJaws DDR3 1333 (low latency preference on a budget)
XClio Godspeed 747 Case (1x120mm exhaust, 2x80mm top exhaust, 1x120mm front intake, two side vents)
Ceramique thermal compound (this may or may not be a good idea if I ever need to remove)

The area in which I really need some advice is CPU cooling...

I ordered an aftermarket cooler without reading all the specs sadly. The GELID Siberian has unmatched CFM to DBA, but can not handle the TDP. Looks like that is going back :) The stock cooler looks impressive, but I hear it is noisy (have not tried it myself). I am not positive I will need to overclock (maybe for large simulations and analysis) and if I do it will only be moderate. Therefore, cooling is an iffy issue. The only thing I know is I want this PC to be quiet wherever possible.

I have read many reviews and they are all somewhat ambiguous. Maybe I could just put a better fan on the stock cooler? So I am left with questions:

Air flow direction (parallel to CPU vs perpendicular) - any benefits here?
What DBA is ultimately noticeable (I know this is somewhat subjective)?

and ultimately....

what cooler can you recommend that will be not break the bank (< $50, preferably <$40), will be on the quiet side and can handle what I may throw its way.

I am not really interested in liquid cooling and please no AMD vs Intel threads!

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
I would suggest the Hyper 212+ or the Evo - they are both amazing coolers for price performance.

Also, Ceramique isnt particularly great, try MX-2 or the tried and tested AS-5. If you can get your hands on it without buying one of their coolers, the Phanteks thermal compound is amazing aswell.

To answer your question regarding airflow, seeing as you have a 120mm intake, and a 120mm exhaust, I would suggest parallel. (Pulls in from front and out the back as far as I see it)

I would say 30DB to 45DB is acceptable, the latter is audible in a normal environment, the former gets drowned out by pretty much anything you would normally hear on an every day basis.

RD2Engineering

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

The Hyper 212 does seem to get the nod often. It is a low cost unit but performance charts show it being somewhat middle of the road at timed and at times top of the heap. Rather ambiguous. Is it audible?

Thus far though, on recommendations, this is the most likely candidate- just hoping some diamond in the rough comes along.

Regarding thermal compound, I purchased the ceramique based on this data:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-September-2011/1377/5

From this benchmark test:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Thermal-Compound-Roundup-September-2011/1377/1

It was low cost, readily available on newegg and a top performer. As I am somewhat new to this, is there data to dispute this?

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

I am unsure about it being Audible, but as far as its performance goes, its excellent. Its more expensive brother, the 212 EVO, is even better than the 212+

Odd, I always thought Ceramique was one of the weaker ones. And I cant say I understand how AS5 has got so far up there either, its usually mid range these days.

Clearly, if you want to save some time and money, go into your fridge and grab the mayo xD

RD2Engineering

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
I have a 1090t with a Hyper 212+ set to push and pull. I used arctic silver 5 for my thermal paste. I have my rig overclocked to 3.8 ghz and run at 23 C idle and high 40's under load. I'm not an expert, but from my experience and judging from what I've read, sounds like pretty much what you are looking for. I DID buy aftermarket fans though, which made the cooler more expensive.

insanepuppet

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
oh....sorry for posting back to back, but I just realized something. If you do consider the Hyper 212 make SURE it can fit with your ram. The way my motherboard is built, I had to buy low profile ram to fit it. Just a thought.....

TRENDING THREADS