ANY way to overclock ASUS P5RD2-VM?

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012
yes, yes, i know it is a VERY old board. but is there ANY, and i mean AANNYYY way to overclock on this board. ive tried programs and manually doing it in the BIOS but everything is locked. PLEASE HELP! i contacted asustek and they just gave me a link to the overclocking support forums (found no help) and then lectured me about how overclocking can be dangerous and all that bullshit. ive read people bragging online about how they overclocked theyre pentium EE 840 to like 4.3 GHz and *** on the same board, but i had no way of asking them, so i just sat there overwhelmed with frustration and jealousy XD

D

Deleted member 217926

What CPU do you have? Pentium EE or extreme editions were made to be overclocked heavily. Back then those were the only Pentiums that would easily overclock. High 4+Ghz overclocks did not become common until the Core2 processors. Well not everyday overclocks anyway.

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

i just received my pentium extreme edition 840 today. right now i have a P4 524. (3.06 GHz, 533FSB, 1M L2 Cache,) but when i get home from school im going to pop it in and see how it works. and i know, pentium EEs overclock VERY well. and because of that im EXTREMELY desperate to overclock my old desktop. ive overclocked my friends CPUs and GPUs for them because they all have no idea how too XD im known as the nerd in my class.

D

Deleted member 217926

I hope you have some great cooling becase those old things doubled as space heaters.

I am pretty sure they just overclock via unlocked multipliers.

Back when they were new anything over 3.8Ghz pretty much needed water cooling due to the extremely high heat. Todays high end air coolers are MUCH better than anything they had back in 2005 when your chip was new so with a new high end air cooler you might hit 3.8-4Ghz. Of course spending $50-$100 to cool a completely obsolete chip that was not even very good when new is crazy.

And no these chips did not even come close to overclocking VERY well compared to todays chips. Even being a $1000 part when new the EE 840 would go from 3.2Ghz - 3.8Ghz with air. My $300 new 2600K will go from 3.4Ghz - over 5Ghz on air.

Even overclocked to the max this processor will be about as fast as a 1.5Ghz netbook. So do not expect miracles. There is a reason Intel let netburst die.

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

no, the pentium EE 840 has the same architecture as the pentium dual cores, which had the same architecture as the core 2 CPUs. it will run MUCH better then a 1.5 GHz netbook. most people think the pentium EE runs on the pentium Ds architecture when it really doesnt. that is why these CPUs were so expensive when they first came out. i grabbed one of a idiot on ebay selling it new for 75$ thinking it was a pentium D CPU. lmfao.

D

Deleted member 217926

Ummm you paid about $65 too much. The Pentium EE 840 was the FIRST of the Pentium D line to be released. It is a 90 nm Smithfield core. It was released in April 2005 a full year and a half before any Core2 CPU. The only notable thing about it was that it still had Hyperthreading and was the only Pentium D that was released with it. In fact a whole newer line of Pentium D processors based on the 65nm die shrink was released called Presler. I have no idea where you came up with it being based on Core 2 lol. I stand by the 1.5Ghz Atom comparison.

http://ark.intel.com/products/27613/Intel-Pentium-Processor-Extreme-Edition-840-(2M-Cache-3_20-GHz-800-MHz-FSB)

"Intel first launched Smithfield on April 16, 2005 in the form of the 3.2 GHz Hyper-threading enabled Pentium Extreme Edition 840."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_D

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8285

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

my god. i hate how people some how STILL think after its been discussed a billion times. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PENTIUM D EXTREME EDITION. the core i got is a PENTIUM DUAL CORE EXTREME EDITION. then there are the retards that dont even know the difference between the pentium D and pentium Dual core, and the retards that think the pentium D 840 is a pentium dual core extreme edition 840. please, back on topic. asus p5rd2-vm. everything in bios is locked and ive tried lots of programs. help please?

D

Deleted member 217926

You are seriously in denial or you did not read a single article I linked you to above. Too bad furious denial will not change the facts. Enjoy your hot Atom.

:lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors

Pentium Extreme Edition

[edit] "Smithfield" (90 nm)
All models support: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, Hyper-Threading, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST), Intel 64, XD bit (an NX bit implementation)
Steppings: A0
Package Size: 37.5 mm × 37.5 mm
Die Size: 206 mm²

Model Number

sSpec Number

Frequency

L2-Cache

Front Side Bus

Mult

Voltage

TDP

Socket

Release Date

Part Number(s)

Release Price (USD)

Pentium Extreme Edition 840

SL8FK

3.2 GHz

2 × 1 MB

800 MT/s

16x

1.2 - 1.4 V

130 W

LGA 775

May 1, 2005

HH80551PG0882MM

$999

"The Pentium D brand refers to dual-core desktop microprocessors by Intel targeted at the consumer market with CPU with the Smithfield and Presler cores of 8xx- and 9xx-series respectively, also branded as Pentium Extreme Edition 840, 955, and 965.[1]"

:hello:

marshalmelow

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2012

D

Deleted member 217926