Looking To Crossfire

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
I had recently built a new system with this video card

SAPPHIRE 279L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102850

with the intention of buying another one later in order to put it in crossfire. I have run into a hiccup because I can't find the card anywhere. If I am unable to find this card again, does anyone have any suggestions for another card that would work in crossfire with it? As I understand it they just need the same gpu, but I've heard of people having trouble using different versions of the same card, ie asus versus sapphire.

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Hrm, alright. Perhaps I was misinformed then. I just wanted to be sure I don't have some sort of incompatibility. Can anyone second this card suggested by shortstuff_mt as a good choice?

XFX is a quality manufacturer. They offer a double lifetime warranty on their cards which means the warranty even applies to the second owner of the card. Their warranty can't be beat.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to second the XFX recommendation since they're commonly recommended on this site.

SuburbanViking

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009

Yeah I am definitely seeing good stuff about them. Excellent. Thanks so much for your help mate.

I literally just bought a 2nd 4870 on ebay this morning for $125, its the 1GB card and I wanted the identical card. With the new 58xx cards out, you may start seeing 4870's pop up on ebay for good prices.

I do like XFX, I am glad they may ATI cards now. I just wanted an exact card for the look. Have a little OCD here.