Motherboard causes PSU to screech / whine.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I've tested GPU, cpu, ram, psu on another mobo. everything's fine.
I've tested all my hardware on my mobo - PSU makes horrible screech.

If i put a 4650 on my mobo, the problem doesn't happen.
If i put a 4770 on my mobo, the problem happens.

If i put the 4770 and 4650 on another mobo, everything's fine - ruling out my GPU.

Only difference is that the 4650 doesn't require a 6 pin connector and the 4770 does.

MY PSU is also a brand new 850 watt.

Is it safe to say, this is a faulty motherboard, if not, how can I fix the problem.

ALSO, to further add to the annoyance, I sent a board back to the company i bought it from because it was faulty, they offered a replacement and sent this (faulty) board.

What are the odds of getting two faulty boards in a row...

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I don't have another PSU with a 6 pin connector.

BUT, if it was the PSU's fault, it wouldn't work with the 4770 on the other board as well.

If i use the 4770 on another mobo, the problem isn't there, but If i use the 4770 on my mobo, the problem IS there.

That should rule out the graphics card and the PSU.

EDIT:

Hardware is also;
intel e6500 3ghz
asus p5kpl-am mobo
OCZ ddr2 2gb 1066
Powercolor ATI 4770
850 watt hytek aito psu.

Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood you in the first post. So the only thing you swapped was the MB (I thought you moved your components over to another PC).

So yes, I think it is safe to say the mobo is faulty. Also, is it possible that noise is actually coming from the Mobo? Perhaps up near the processor, like a vibrating component?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Negative. :(

I put my ear directly on the power supply and it's definitely coming from there.

The other motherboard is incompatiable with some of my hardware, so it limits the speeds, etc on some things.
Do you think this could give me a false/positive situation, in other words, do you think that the slower speeds give less power and thus no noise?

And if this is the case, how can i test my power supply, it works fine with my ram, gpu, and cpu on another board.
I can't test my mobo + ram, gpu and cpu with another psu because I don't have another with a 6 pin connector.

It's odd, though, why would a mobo cause a PSU to do this?

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Unfortunately I have no molex to 6 and all the shops here only sell molex to 8 >:
the other one is 450 watt.

Are there any tests i can do to rule out my PSU any other way?
I know an electrician that is willing to help diagnose it, but he doesn't work with computers.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
This is one of those generic PSU's.
Output of Hytec 850:

Voltage +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -5V -12V +5Vsb
Max Load 30A 28A 14A 15A 0.5A 0.3A 2.0A = 29 amps on the +12

A decent power supply that has 850 watts (Corsair, for instance) should have 60 to 70 amps on a single +12 rail. Have you ever seen the generic PSU's exploding in those videos. I also blew 3 mobos with them years ago.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Surely it could handle a single 4770, though.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
You're taking a risk with a cheap PSU, even if it were working perfectly now. And yours is screeching, probably indicating bad bearings.

Check out some sales for a while at Newegg or Fry's. I bought a quality PSU on sale+rebate+ free shipping for a pittance.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

Although, if i use the exact same system, then swap the motherboards, it will only screech on one. It's fine on the other.
If it was a bad PSU wouldn't it screech on both?

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
There might be something wrong with the mobo. But I was commenting on the risks of using generic PSU's. You can check out the quality of various brands right here at Tom's Guide, or with anyone else who understands PC hardware.

4745454b

Titan
The only time I've heard of a PSU making noise is certain ones will whine if used with a battery backup. If you have some sort of power conditioner/backup, try taking it out of the loop. If you aren't using one, buy a new PSU. Its probably just the fan making noise as it tries to compensate for the extra heat power the 4770. Its junk, get a new one.

Fapaz

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009

The only way I could replace it is if it were refunded, I don't have any money to spare. I doubt it would be refunded as it is 3+ weeks old.

Its under warranty, so would I be charged if i brought it in to the shop and ask for them to test a different PSU in my pc (provided i bring my pc) to check if it was faulty or not?

Also, could anyone find an official website for my PSU? I searched for 30 minutes and found nothing.