Visable upgrades from Q9450 to i7?

techwulf09

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hello all, currently I am running an Intel Core 2 Quad 9450 on a ASUS P5N-D mobo with a 512 MB Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX, and am considering upgrading to Intel i7-920. Mostly I'm upgrading just for the sake of upgrading, and to enable my computer to play high-demand games. I'm not in to overclocking, just playing my games at the best possible resolution and frame rate. I realize that i7 is considerably better based on the stats, but I wondered what sort of differences I will notice immediately and be able to see clearly? Will I see things like my rig bringing applications up faster, and being able to multitask many applications without much lag? I am very curious to know whether there are any other incentives for me to upgrade other than to enable myself for the future prospects of gaming. I am also wondering if such a large upgrade is even worth it if I'm not overclocking? I'm sorry if these are terrible questions, I'm pretty new to the building custom pcs scene.

The rig I am considering upgrading to will have;
Intel i7-920 CPU
MSI X58 Pro-E mobo
6 GB DDR3 RAM at 1600 MHz
896 MB EVGA Geforce GTX 275 GPU

Thank you all for your input, if any more additional information is needed please let me know and I will gladly give it to you. Thanks again in advance!

techwulf09

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I was just informed that unless I go SLI there won't be much of a visible difference between my CPU's or in terms of gaming quality, is this true?

techwulf09

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Ah alright, thank you all, seems like the general opinion is that upgrading my GPU would do enough for what I want. Thanks again all for your input!

TRENDING THREADS