Sign in with
Your question

Computer just beeps, won't show anything on the screen

Last response: in Motherboards
March 25, 2010 2:52:43 AM

Hello,

I have a computer with a socket 939 Winfast (NF4UK8AA) motherboard with Phoenix bios, athlon 64 cpu, 1 gb of ram (512mb pc3200 x 2), and a brand new graphics card. I bought the graphics card because originally the computer would start, act like it was loading windows (I could see it on the screen), then the screen would go black. It wasn't the monitor because I tested another monitor and eliminated that possibility.

Anyway, the graphics card is definitely compatible, so I don't think that's the problem either, but now I have a new problem.

When I turn the computer on, one of two things happens... either a continuous periodic beep (and nothing loads on the screen), or no beeps whatsoever (and still, nothing on the screen).

I thought maybe the RAM was bad, but I have a lot of extra compatible ram and the only thing that changes when I try the other RAM (that I know is working fine) is it will go from beeping a lot to not beeping at all.

I've also looked into beep codes for this BIOS and that wasn't much help. From what I read, it seems to indicate it's a problem with the RAM, but I know the RAM itself is ok.

The fan on the motherboard chipset is siezed up. It has been like that for a while but was still working. The motherboard is only about a year old but no warranty that I am aware of.

Is there any way to test the DIMM slots to see what's wrong?

I have tried everything I can think of.. new ram, new graphics card, new power supply (from another computer) and I now think either the entire chipset is screwed, or the dimm slots are.

I'm only at an intermediate level when it comes to the real nitty gritty of motherboards, chipsets, cpu's, etc. so go easy on me!

This is my mom's computer I built for her, and it has worked great for a couple of years. She only uses it for email/ light web surfing so I hate to invest much money into a new one.

The really bad thing is that she keeps the computer slid underneath her computer desk in a designated area for a computer tower, and I know it gets awfully warm. She frequently leaves it on for a day or two at a time and I am pretty sure the heat has something to do with it.

Any advice you can offer would be great. If I could just figure out how to test the DIMM slots, it would be great. Thanks so much!

-Nicole
March 25, 2010 3:05:20 AM

sweetcrash said:
Hello,

I have a computer with a socket 939 Winfast (NF4UK8AA) motherboard with Phoenix bios, athlon 64 cpu, 1 gb of ram (512mb pc3200 x 2), and a brand new graphics card. I bought the graphics card because originally the computer would start, act like it was loading windows (I could see it on the screen), then the screen would go black. It wasn't the monitor because I tested another monitor and eliminated that possibility.

Anyway, the graphics card is definitely compatible, so I don't think that's the problem either, but now I have a new problem.

When I turn the computer on, one of two things happens... either a continuous periodic beep (and nothing loads on the screen), or no beeps whatsoever (and still, nothing on the screen).

I thought maybe the RAM was bad, but I have a lot of extra compatible ram and the only thing that changes when I try the other RAM (that I know is working fine) is it will go from beeping a lot to not beeping at all.

I've also looked into beep codes for this BIOS and that wasn't much help. From what I read, it seems to indicate it's a problem with the RAM, but I know the RAM itself is ok.

The fan on the motherboard chipset is siezed up. It has been like that for a while but was still working. The motherboard is only about a year old but no warranty that I am aware of.

Is there any way to test the DIMM slots to see what's wrong?

I have tried everything I can think of.. new ram, new graphics card, new power supply (from another computer) and I now think either the entire chipset is screwed, or the dimm slots are.

I'm only at an intermediate level when it comes to the real nitty gritty of motherboards, chipsets, cpu's, etc. so go easy on me!

This is my mom's computer I built for her, and it has worked great for a couple of years. She only uses it for email/ light web surfing so I hate to invest much money into a new one.

The really bad thing is that she keeps the computer slid underneath her computer desk in a designated area for a computer tower, and I know it gets awfully warm. She frequently leaves it on for a day or two at a time and I am pretty sure the heat has something to do with it.

Any advice you can offer would be great. If I could just figure out how to test the DIMM slots, it would be great. Thanks so much!

-Nicole

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml

Go to that link and it will definatly help you out!

Continuous beep: Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

I really hope this helps you and thanks for your question.
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:06:53 AM

update:

No beep: Power supply or system board problem

Continuous beep: Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

Repeating short beeps: Power supply or system board problem

These are not mine came from:

http://www.pchell.com/hardware/beepcodes.shtml
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 12:50:10 PM

Thank You so much! You saved my sanity! :) 
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:40:19 PM

sweetcrash said:
Thank You so much! You saved my sanity! :) 

Your very welcome. I hope this thread is considered solved unless you have other questions.
m
l
!