Sign in with
Your question

New build pc turns on but nothing on screen

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2009 8:34:46 PM

I am having the same issue as the other posts. I am building a brand new systems and when i turn it on, everything seems to work (lights on, fans spinning, except nothing is showing on the monitor (no signal)and keyboard and mouse not working either. My specs are: Apevia X Cruiser Mid tower ATX Intel DX58SO ATX LGA 1366 mobo OCZ Gold XTC 6GB DDR3 Memory kit (3 2gb Memory modules) Intel Core i7 920 cpu XFX GS250 GeForce GTS 250 512MB DDR3 PCI-E 2.0 Video card 2 Samsung SATA DVD/CD drives Western Digital Caviar 640 GB Harddrive 32mb cache, 7200RPM SATAII Corsair 750W PSU Note: I use a third party heat sink and 120mm fan that's compatible with the i7 920 CPU since I broke one of the legs of the stock heatsink when i tried to push it down onto the mobo.

More about : build turns screen

October 5, 2009 9:13:50 PM

I have the DX58SO as well, I had the same problem when I built it. There is a six pin connector by your top PCI-E slot.I had read on Newegg not to plug this in as it might cause a short or some such nonsense. Completely false. It did the same as yours, fans spin and lights but nothing on the monitor. So if it isn't already plugged in, do it.

Tried to upload a pic for you but I'm at work. Easy to find though. If you can't let me know and I'll upload it when I get home.
October 5, 2009 9:39:02 PM

zach538467 said:
I have the DX58SO as well, I had the same problem when I built it. There is a six pin connector by your top PCI-E slot.I had read on Newegg not to plug this in as it might cause a short or some such nonsense. Completely false. It did the same as yours, fans spin and lights but nothing on the monitor. So if it isn't already plugged in, do it.

Tried to upload a pic for you but I'm at work. Easy to find though. If you can't let me know and I'll upload it when I get home.

Related resources
October 5, 2009 9:41:53 PM

Please upload the picture when you get home. I'd really appreciate all your help. I follow all the steps and the "new build won't boot checklist" but unsuccessful. Should I buy the new mobo since mine is over a month old and can't not return or exchange.
October 5, 2009 9:43:35 PM

Just wait to see if this works. I bet that it will.
October 5, 2009 9:46:45 PM

I'm at work right now. I'll try it when I get home this evening. But I think I plugged everything in already. I'll double check tonight, if not I will ask for your help tomorrow. Thanks again Zach538467.
October 5, 2009 10:07:15 PM

Zach - do you mean the 2x4 socket next to the smaller INTEL logo in the middle of the board on this pic, just after the row of 4 little heat sinks?
http://www.hardwaresphere.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/0...

If so, that should definitely be plugged into the ATX power supply from the PSU. You're right, without that plugged in you'll get exactly what Bondz is describing. Good spot that man, I wouldn't have thought of that! :) 
October 5, 2009 10:30:53 PM

Confused Stu - I can't not view your picture. Can you upload it again? Thanks.
October 5, 2009 11:00:28 PM

Here you go dude, finally home from work!

October 5, 2009 11:06:57 PM

Zach, I already plugged that in. What else could it be?
October 5, 2009 11:07:40 PM

And that's a super clear picture. Thanks Zach.
October 6, 2009 12:43:15 AM

If you have followed all the steps in the sticky(not to beat a dead horse but some small things go accidentally overlooked) and its not because it is not plugged in, chances are you've got a bad mobo:( 

I don't suppose you have a spare gpu lying around? If you do and you haven't already tried it, throw it in and see if it boots.

I don't know if I would buy a new mobo though, you should contact Intel, the board has a three year warranty. The info for the warranty is on the cd that came with it.
!