Normal frame rate in dod with a 1gb ati radeon 4870

G

hey i just got a new card and it installed well and runs well too. but my frame rate fluctuates a lot while playing day of defeat source. some times it will be around 150 to 200 then around 80 to 100 and worst of all it will drop below 40. I dont know if its because i just need to up grade to a better processor because im still using a dual core pentium e2180, if its my ram or my internet connection.

G

Ime using an intel dg33tl quad core supported motherboard
3 gigs of ddr2 800mhz ram
800watt a power power supply
asus ati radeon 4870 dark knigh 1 gig 256 bit ddr5 video card
pentium e2180 dual core
windows vista 64 bit

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
i am running the same CPU as you and i have over clocked mine to 3.0ghz to get a decent frame rate out of it.

the fluctuation would mainly be caused by 2 things:

1. more happening on screen. very simple, more stuff on screen is more work for the PC. your frame rate will drop if the amount of stuff being rendered is greater then the power of your system.

2.background app. sometimes i can be mid game and my antivirus can kick in which kills my frame rate. make sure that when you are gaming you are not downloading updates and or and cpu intensive tasks.

the CPU is def the weakest link and unless over clocked would be worth replacing. check out the overclocking stickies on this forum for a how to guide and good luck if you take that path. just check your ram, 3 gig is a strange amount to be running on a 775 socket. for the dual channel function on the ram you need either 2x or 4x sticks of ram. 3 sticks will not work with dual channel.

G

I run game booster everytime which closes all of my background applications so it must really be my cpu. Im looking into the q9550 then maybe doin an i7 build when they go down in price a little. I appreciate the advice.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
Source engine games (e.g. Team Fortress 2, Counter-Strike: Source, Day of Defeat: Source) are very CPU intensive. Your GPU is definitely handling the game easily, however your CPU is definitely causing the stutters. If you overclock or upgrade your CPU you will see your frame rates increase and normalize.

G

Yeah aun up grade is definately needed but i might overclock just to get through until next month. are there any cpu fans or heatsinks you would recomend for a socket 775 mother board

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
the 2180 is pretty cool running and i expect you can get away with just using the HSF you currently own. try overclocking and keep an eye on the temps. if you find they are getting too high drop the overclock.

the standard intel hsf should take you to 2.7-2.8 fine which should eliminate any stuttering until you can afford the corei5 or i7 upgrade.

good luck