PC lock up do to dual channeling issues

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I posted here before about my CPU, and to be honest all this time i was trying to narrow my issue of my computer randomly locking up when playing games.
i hadn't noticed this issue until recently so i decided to look into it and i think its the ram, i ran prime on small FTT and it was fine, ran prime95 on blend it locks up completely that i have to restart my PC. so i think its my ram, mind you when it comes to ram i am clueless on how to figure out what I am dealing with.

what I have is :
E6300 wolfdale clocked @2.8
HIS 4850 @ 650
Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
485W ATX12V Power Supply
GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard
I would love some help if its possible because i am not use to dealing with ram
if you want the link to the ram it self here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160.

P.S if you guys do think ram isn't the issue then let me know
thank you. Also i have no idea how to use memtest86+.

EDIT: I changed the title because i narrowed down the lock up/freezing issue to dual channeling the ram please read the end

ekoostik

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Run memtest86+. Download it here: http://www.memtest.org/
Get the pre-compiled bootable ISO (.zip). Extract the contents. The next step can be the trickiest - you need to burn it to a CD as an ISO. You didn't mention your OS. If you have Windows 7, Microsoft has finally made burning ISO images an option with the OS. If not, you'll need another program. Do you have any CD creation/burning utilities?

Once you get the ISO image burned to a CD, leave it in the tray and re-boot. You may need to go into BIOS and set the CD/DVD device as the first boot device. Let memtest86+ run for multiple passes, overnight if possible.

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
well i just woke up and to be exact i found out that the progress bar for passing is at 14% and the other bar is at 36 nothing is moving at all except the + in memtest86+ :(.
i am thinking of doing it by ram stick.

EDIT: the Esc button is not working, i think it locked up again.

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Well i am testing the ram sticks one by one in the same socket, i got one to pass the test and i removed it and now i am doing the other one. Figured since if icouldn't get them to pass once then if one of them isn't passing then that the problem. As for question my CPU idles 34/41 on full load max temps are 66 on both cores.
Link to the psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817339020

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
sorry for double posting here are my result:
using the same slot both rams passed the test.
using another slot both tests were passed.
but dual channeling leads memtest86 to lock/freeze.

Now i have no idea what to do.

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
hey guys, i tried updating the bios to f8 and that not helping :S.
if any of you know about the values or anything i could do please do help me as i am about to lose it

cas 6
tRCD 6
tRP 6
tRAS 18

Dram voltage 1.800v

That PSU is fecal. You're not loading it much, but its voltage regulation and/or filtering might suck bad enough to cause random problems.
You could get by with a 380W Antec Earthwatts for about $40 now, or a 400W Corsair CX. For more headroom, 450W-500W would be enough.
Whatever you choose should have full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and 80+ certification.

ConfusedBanana

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

I did nothing :S, all it does in mem test is just run to a certain eprcentage and freeze/lock up and i can't exit.

Hmm i doubt its the PSU, but if we do find out its the PSU then i will have to go to best buy to get one since i can't wait for newegg.

Best Buy sells the Antec Earthwatts models. Do not be tempted by their cheap Dynex and Rocketfish house brands; they're crap. HarwareSecrets, HardOCP, and Jonnyguru have all blown most of them up during testing.
Best Buy will charge 2x the price at least I'm sure, but it will still be worthwhile.

bilbat

Splendid
Make sure your memory is in DDR2_1 and DDR2_3 - the two red slots...

Enter BIOS, and do a "Load Optimized Defaults"; follow up with an <F10> save & exit, and if it's going to work at all - that should do it! If still problems - PM again, I don't usually look at anything but Tyan & GB postings...

TRENDING THREADS