Sign in with
Your question
Solved

2 quick questions about preference

Last response: in Systems
October 5, 2009 10:40:08 PM

I have a case with 2 rear 80 mm fan ports. and a 120 mm front port. should i have a 80 in the back or a 120 in the front?

also, which would you recommend, anti static strap or anti static gloves? they both cost the same...
October 5, 2009 10:46:49 PM

The 120mm up front will suck more air in with less noise than the 80mm fan in the back. If you are going to get one or the other then definitely the strap, you cant work inside a computer while wearing gloves, its cramped enough as it is and its hard to handle small screws with gloves. Personally i just make sure to ground myself on the case prior to working on my system, i dont even own an antistatic wrist strap, many people here dont.
m
l
October 5, 2009 10:49:11 PM

I think im going to go with the wrist strap because i my pc stopped working when i dusted my mobo. im thinking i shocked the processor when some freezing liquid came out of my can duster and hit my heatsink. would this be a good assumption to make?
m
l
Related resources
October 5, 2009 10:55:16 PM

actually it likely blew something loose, and the gas wouldnt be able to conduct the static charge, it dissipates extremely quickly off gas particles. How long of a burst did you give it from the canned air? You should not do more than 20 second bursts without letting it warm up again or you can freeze things however its more likely that you knocked something loose. Just let things warm up and check all the connections, processors are surprisingly durable, that metal heat spreader can protect it from a fair amount.
m
l
October 5, 2009 10:59:15 PM

well, i waited for it to cool down. but i accidentally held it at an angle and saw a bit of liquid come out on to the heat sink, which then quick disappeared. i then tried to run the pc, and the fan turned on but no beep codes or anythin on the screen. also tried resetting cmos... i did reset the processor. no help. but it also did lose a pin when i reset it a few tries later... so i am thinking the processor, cause nothing made noise or came loose...
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2009 1:33:24 AM

dbowlin17 said:
well, i waited for it to cool down. but i accidentally held it at an angle and saw a bit of liquid come out on to the heat sink, which then quick disappeared. i then tried to run the pc, and the fan turned on but no beep codes or anythin on the screen. also tried resetting cmos... i did reset the processor. no help. but it also did lose a pin when i reset it a few tries later... so i am thinking the processor, cause nothing made noise or came loose...

The liquid is liquified gas....the same stuff that comes out as gas but in its liquid form under pressure. The quick freeze can cause thermal cracking. Different materials expand and contract at different rates. So ona MoBo for example, the metal carrying the electrons in the circuit expands and contracts more and faster than the material it's embedded in. This can break circuits and crack the medium.

As for the original question, "all of the above"....install the 120mm going in and twin 80's going out.

As for the strap gloves, I gotta be honest and say I have never used one in over 100 builds. I only wear natural fibers when building, my work area is free of static generating materials, I leave all parts laying on their anti static wrapping when building and always touch the case before touching any component. I have an wrist strap and bought it many years ago for the intended purpose, but I always seem to have to get up and go somewhere to get a specialized PC tool (like a nail clipper for clipping plastic ties :)  )or something and then have to unstrap meself and then I forget to put it back on. But this is a "do as I say not as I do" thing cause common sense says take all precautions as necessary. OH, I also set up my case, PSU and wire sleeving etc on one day, then do all the electronics installation on the 2nd .... on 2nd day have the power wire to the PSU plugged in (PSU off) for a true "to ground".
October 6, 2009 11:14:07 AM

well, i shot the air at the fan/heatsink when it was on the mobo. im thinkinb for 15 bucks i can get a new socket 478. is that worth it? I ran it with a disk in the disk drive and it made the disk spin, so i think that the mobo still works, just not the processor.
m
l
!