Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Last minute decision... X58 or P55

Last response: in Systems
October 6, 2009 12:46:50 AM

Need advice Asap.

Its come down the the wire, Paypal money is going to clear transfer in anywhere from couple hours till next day hopefully.

Here is the planned setup eventually, Well.. Just need to last long and have power to spare.. And here it is, I currently have a 5870 and Am going to build off that so P55 regulates me with 2 of them in Crossfire where as only really high end P55 boards with NF200 Chip will allow me to run it but it doesn't scale well etc. Now the X58 build will allow me to have 3 of these beasts in CF later on when needed, but I've heard they don't work well in Tri-CF because of insane heat output.

Here is the Setup:

Shared:

Case: Coolermaster 932 HAF
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
CPU Heatsink: Coolermaster V8
GPU:XFX 5870 (off NCIX though)

i7 860 Build:

CPU: i7 860 2.8GHZ
PSU: Corsair HX850W Modular
Motherboard: Asus Maximus Formula III/Sound Card
RAM: x2 Patriot Sector 5 1333mhz low Cas

i7 920 Build:

CPU: i7 920 2.66GHZ
PSU: Corsair HX1000W Modular
Motherboard: EVGA TriSLI/CF
RAM: x1 Patriot Viper 1600mhz

I prefer the P55 Set up with only 2 cards as they should be plenty of power, but I've only really heard that X58 doesn't work too well with 3 of those things humming away.

EDIT: for instance that post right below mine saying how his managed to start melting HDMI Cables etc o,o
October 6, 2009 3:19:59 AM

Well too late money came and Went for P55 to be safe overall.
m
l

Best solution

October 6, 2009 7:10:12 PM

wellllll sorry this came at such a late time, but I think you should scrap the tri-cf setup planned for the future. GPU's come out iono around every 6 months or so, save the money you'd spend on those 2 other cards and get yourself a newgen card. Trend always seems to be better performance for less heat/wattage. P55 was a good choice I think. Just a thought, have fun with your new rig!

~mrcrybaby
!