MP3 USB drivers will not install

a b \ Driver
August 17, 2004 12:27:03 PM

Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area - not sure where to put.

I recently upgraded my computer w/ a new HD (requiring a clean install of
win xp pro). Previous to the upgrade, my Creative NOMAD 2c worked fine. Now
windows finds the device but cannot finish loading the drivers. Its goes
thru the install portion fine, but at the end I get an error message: Widows
could not load drivers. Install failed. Access Denied.

I've called Creative and they say its a Win problem. But my other USB
devices are fine (Lexmark printer, Logitech webcam, Palm m515).

I took the NOMAD to work and it installed ok (win2000 pro).

I've been all thru the Creative and MS site and can't find the answer. And
I've tried everything I can think of at home - safe mode, no antivirus,
direct in back (no hub), etc. Anybody know what might be going on? Could it
be a conflict w/ another item (ati vid card)?

Thanks!
Scott

PS. Also having a prob running Easy CD Creator. Says "cannot find
CreatorAPI". Related problem?

Win XP Pro
512M RAM
ATI 8500 vid card
Intel p3-800
orig HD is now a slave
onboard USB 1.1, w/ 4-port belkin hub
SB Audigy sound card
tyan MB
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 17, 2004 4:35:43 PM

Have you reinstalled SP1 and all the Windows Updates after the clean
install?
"beav227" <beav227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area - not sure where to put.
>
> I recently upgraded my computer w/ a new HD (requiring a clean install of
> win xp pro). Previous to the upgrade, my Creative NOMAD 2c worked fine.
Now
> windows finds the device but cannot finish loading the drivers. Its goes
> thru the install portion fine, but at the end I get an error message:
Widows
> could not load drivers. Install failed. Access Denied.
>
> I've called Creative and they say its a Win problem. But my other USB
> devices are fine (Lexmark printer, Logitech webcam, Palm m515).
>
> I took the NOMAD to work and it installed ok (win2000 pro).
>
> I've been all thru the Creative and MS site and can't find the answer.
And
> I've tried everything I can think of at home - safe mode, no antivirus,
> direct in back (no hub), etc. Anybody know what might be going on? Could
it
> be a conflict w/ another item (ati vid card)?
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>
> PS. Also having a prob running Easy CD Creator. Says "cannot find
> CreatorAPI". Related problem?
>
> Win XP Pro
> 512M RAM
> ATI 8500 vid card
> Intel p3-800
> orig HD is now a slave
> onboard USB 1.1, w/ 4-port belkin hub
> SB Audigy sound card
> tyan MB
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 18, 2004 11:03:04 AM

After the install, I got all the updates (just checked last nite - nothing
missing). Something I noticed - before I did the HD upgrade, I did my device
upgrades to make sure they worked (ram, vid card, dvd player). They worked
fine at that time, except I could not update the vid driver at the time
(would not complete install). Wasn't a big deal so I didn't think much of
it, since it was still working. But this MP3 prob seems like the same issue.
And since the vid driver DID update properly this time, it gets me
wondering. To be safe, I uninstalled the vid driver, dvd software, and some
other items to see if that solved the prob - nope. Tried it in safe mode -
no go.

My issue seems to be one of permissions - how do I tell windows that this is
allowed to happen? I was having the same prob updating my easy cd creator 5
software, but I can burn CD's thru Win Media Player, so I'm not too worried.
Its the MP3 player I really need. Drivers will not load. Keeps telling me
'Access is Denied'. And I've been in the registry checking permissions and
looked at Enum, etc.

I'm a part-time musician (drummer) and I load the tunes into the player so I
can head to the basement/studio to practice. Getting tired of the same 60
tunes that I can't update for 3 weeks now. :)

Thanks for the help!

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Have you reinstalled SP1 and all the Windows Updates after the clean
> install?
> "beav227" <beav227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong area - not sure where to put.
> >
> > I recently upgraded my computer w/ a new HD (requiring a clean install of
> > win xp pro). Previous to the upgrade, my Creative NOMAD 2c worked fine.
> Now
> > windows finds the device but cannot finish loading the drivers. Its goes
> > thru the install portion fine, but at the end I get an error message:
> Widows
> > could not load drivers. Install failed. Access Denied.
> >
> > I've called Creative and they say its a Win problem. But my other USB
> > devices are fine (Lexmark printer, Logitech webcam, Palm m515).
> >
> > I took the NOMAD to work and it installed ok (win2000 pro).
> >
> > I've been all thru the Creative and MS site and can't find the answer.
> And
> > I've tried everything I can think of at home - safe mode, no antivirus,
> > direct in back (no hub), etc. Anybody know what might be going on? Could
> it
> > be a conflict w/ another item (ati vid card)?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott
> >
> > PS. Also having a prob running Easy CD Creator. Says "cannot find
> > CreatorAPI". Related problem?
> >
> > Win XP Pro
> > 512M RAM
> > ATI 8500 vid card
> > Intel p3-800
> > orig HD is now a slave
> > onboard USB 1.1, w/ 4-port belkin hub
> > SB Audigy sound card
> > tyan MB

a b \ Driver
August 18, 2004 5:55:06 PM

You could try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device
Manager>USB Controllers/
Rt click on each one and choose uninstall. Then restart and let XP
reinstall them. Also, check here for
latest drivers and software for Nomad
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp

> [...]
> > Widows
> > > could not load drivers. Install failed. Access Denied.
> > >
> > > I've called Creative and they say its a Win problem. But my other USB
> > > devices are fine (Lexmark printer, Logitech webcam, Palm m515).
> > >
> > > I took the NOMAD to work and it installed ok (win2000 pro).
> > >
> > > I've been all thru the Creative and MS site and can't find the answer.
> > And
> > > I've tried everything I can think of at home - safe mode, no
antivirus,
> > > direct in back (no hub), etc. Anybody know what might be going on?
Could
> > it
> > > be a conflict w/ another item (ati vid card)?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Scott
> > >
> > > PS. Also having a prob running Easy CD Creator. Says "cannot find

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 19, 2004 10:29:03 AM

Thanks for the info - tried all that and its still the same issue. I've also
been in the registry checking permissions, set up a 2nd login, uninstalled
things, and have the latest drivers.

For some reason Win XP Pro will not allow me to load the drivers for the
unit. Which is maddening cause it worked in the past, before the upgrade.
Could it be a residual problem w/ Norton? That's not something I had on the
orig config (was using McAfee). Have uninstalled it, since the problem
showed up.

What if I put the old Vid Card back and see if it allows it then - perhaps
the ATI card is stepping on something?

Would reloading windows help? I don't want to have to wipe clean and start
over, just correct the problem.

Any way to fool the system and copy the drivers over manually? I have the
orig HD as a slave, w/ most of the orig data on it (file system) - anything
in there that might help?

Thanks!

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> You could try rt clicking MyComputer>select Properties>Hardware>Device
> Manager>USB Controllers/
> Rt click on each one and choose uninstall. Then restart and let XP
> reinstall them. Also, check here for
> latest drivers and software for Nomad
> http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/download.asp
>
> "beav227" <beav227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > After the install, I got all the updates (just checked last nite - nothing
> > missing). Something I noticed - before I did the HD upgrade, I did my
> device
> > upgrades to make sure they worked (ram, vid card, dvd player). They
> worked
> > fine at that time, except I could not update the vid driver at the time
> > (would not complete install). Wasn't a big deal so I didn't think much of
> > it, since it was still working. But this MP3 prob seems like the same
> issue.
> > And since the vid driver DID update properly this time, it gets me
> > wondering. To be safe, I uninstalled the vid driver, dvd software, and
> some
> > other items to see if that solved the prob - nope. Tried it in safe
> mode -
> > no go.
> >
> > My issue seems to be one of permissions - how do I tell windows that this
> is
> > allowed to happen? I was having the same prob updating my easy cd creator
> 5
> > software, but I can burn CD's thru Win Media Player, so I'm not too
> worried.
> > Its the MP3 player I really need. Drivers will not load. Keeps telling
> me
> > 'Access is Denied'. And I've been in the registry checking permissions
> and
> > looked at Enum, etc.
> >
> > I'm a part-time musician (drummer) and I load the tunes into the player so
> > can head to the basement/studio to practice. Getting tired of the same 60
> > tunes that I can't update for 3 weeks now. :)
> >
> > Thanks for the help!

> > "Rich Barry" wrote:
> >
> > > Have you reinstalled SP1 and all the Windows Updates after the clean
> > > install?
> > > "beav227" <beav227@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> of
> fine.
> > > Now
> goes
> > > Widows

> > > And
> antivirus,
> Could
> > > it

Anonymous
a b \ Driver
August 20, 2004 9:55:02 AM

HA!

I figured it out. It was a Permission problem in the Registry. Took me a
while to find the location (actually an FAQ for my vid card gave me the
idea).

Did regedit, then I went into Local Machine, Software, and found the item
for Creative. I changed the permission to Full, then removed the "broken"
usb link from Device Manager.

Had the system look for new changes and it found the MP3 player like normal
and started to load the drivers (as it did before). But this time it
actually finished!

Unit works fine now. Guess something I loaded changed the permission
levels. Thanks for all the help folks!

Beav

!