Heatsink Help (and Cable Question)

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I am building a computer for the first time, and I do not know how to choose the right heatsink.
My processor does not come with a heatsink. I have heard any heatsink i buy should be better then stock, but i have no stock... I need it to be as cheap as possible, so i found this. i just dont know how to tell if it would work right, fit right, or keep my cpu cool enough. A few other parts: Mobo, case

Anything else, ill be glad to add.
Thanks in advance.

loneninja

Distinguished
What cpu are you using? To be honest the stock heat sink that would normally come with most of the AMD quads is better than the one your interested in buying. If your using a 65W rated dual core the one you posted should be fine, if your using a tripple or quad I would look at something better.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Listen to him now, he said that this will be his first build RIG so it will take some time for him to get in gear with knowing what is the right parts and what works best for him and his pockets

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Thank you. Does it have to be so expensive? I was just looking to replace the stock that *should* come with this. Not looking to do any extreme overclocking, and going for cheap as possible here. But if this is what it takes to keep my cpu from turning into ashes, i will do it :p

EDIT: Does this replace the heatsink as well?

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Yes it is compatible and it will work excellent. I understand that you will not be overclocking the CPu but it will for sure keep temps down

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Ok, as long as that is as close to the stock price that can happen, I guess i have to increase the cost by $50. Or I have to decide whether or not to use the same processor, or find one with a heatsink. Is it really worth $50 dollars to use that processor, or drop down a few tenths of a ghz. For my goal (cheapo gaming rig) i might just change cpu.

Thanks for the help.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Everyone knows that copper is the best choice with cooling down the CPU but The CPu you have is going to be fine for your first build.
After awhile you are going to know how to overclocked it even by 15% 20%. Aftermarket parts are always best when building a gaming computer, even for your first time build.

If you change the CPU what are you think about...I'd really think that you are fine for a time build. But in the future you can update the CPu if you want because you can fine the same socket and use the same heatsink. make sure you buy aftermarket thermal paste too. Now backt o your CPU

Core Windsor
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Operating Frequency 3.0GHz
Hyper Transports 2000MHz
L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2 x 1MB
Manufacturing Tech 90 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35-1.4V
Thermal Design Power 125W

These settings are perfect for a gaming system...
Don't worry so much
I am an Intel CPU user but I know information about AMD...
Good luck and happy gaming

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Hey, i have an un-related question, and i dont want to make a new thread, so...
My Psu says it comes with 6 sata cables. Are those for power only, or can i use them to connect to my hardware. My Dvd drive and Hard Drive both come without cables, so i was wondering if i ened to pick up 2 sata cables...

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

NO, But it has to be S-ATA DVD or CD power molex and not the data cable (SATA). That is why the PSU come with the Power Molex
You have to order some yourself.

here is a link to the good brand

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9204&cm_re=sata_cables-_-12-189-204-_-Product

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Yeah the sata cables from your power supply will power your DVD and HDD.
And yes you will need those 2 SATA cables to connect to your mobo.

NO, But it has to be S-ATA DVD or CD power molex and not the data cable (SATA). That is why the PSU come with the Power Molex
You have to order some yourself.

here is a link to the good brand

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product
So my psu will power both of those fine, i just need data cables.

I might go check out some local retailers for sata cables so i dont have to pay $6 shipping
Thank you both for your help. I would have screwed up without your help, which caused me to go back and realize i only had Power sata not data sata (or however you say it).
Now, i wait for shipping...

AMW1011

Distinguished
Those Zalmans are overpriced crap, especially the 9900 which can perform worse than the 9700, move along.

I recommend getting the Xigmatek HDT-SD964. You can get it for $22 off newegg and it outperforms both the Zalman and Arctic Cooler.

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

Ok. For budget needs i am going to go stock cooling for now (changed my cpu) and i will upgrade the heatsink with the next paycheck ;)

AMW1011

Distinguished

Even if you do not overclock, I fully recommend getting an after market cooler. Either way, what CPU did you chose? The Athlon II 240 is likely your best bet if you have an AM2+ board.

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Well, i think i am set now. Time to check out, and wait for shipping.
To-Upgrade when i have the money
Heatsink
Mouse

Thanks for everything. I am going to go check out now :)

flavoi

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009

cpu
Well, i wanted an AM3 so i could go quad core in the future. I will upgrade the heatsink then. Stock cant be THAT bad, I hope.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Yes I would go with this one as well to save some cash