Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heatsink Help (and Cable Question)

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2009 4:39:45 PM

I am building a computer for the first time, and I do not know how to choose the right heatsink.
My processor does not come with a heatsink. I have heard any heatsink i buy should be better then stock, but i have no stock... I need it to be as cheap as possible, so i found this. i just dont know how to tell if it would work right, fit right, or keep my cpu cool enough. A few other parts: Mobo, case

Anything else, ill be glad to add.
Thanks in advance.
a c 83 à CPUs
December 23, 2009 7:22:31 PM

What cpu are you using? To be honest the stock heat sink that would normally come with most of the AMD quads is better than the one your interested in buying. If your using a 65W rated dual core the one you posted should be fine, if your using a tripple or quad I would look at something better.
m
l
December 23, 2009 7:27:27 PM

My cpu (link) does not come with a heatsink. It's 125w, so should i get a better heatsink? if so, what do you recommend?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2009 8:15:35 PM

loneninja said:
What cpu are you using? To be honest the stock heat sink that would normally come with most of the AMD quads is better than the one your interested in buying. If your using a 65W rated dual core the one you posted should be fine, if your using a tripple or quad I would look at something better.

Listen to him now, he said that this will be his first build RIG so it will take some time for him to get in gear with knowing what is the right parts and what works best for him and his pockets
m
l
December 24, 2009 3:54:56 PM

Keiki646 said:
Perfect, I have just what you looking for. This is a Zalman and it works great for a AM2 socket for your type of processor
I have a link here for you to check out. This heatsink will for sure keep the CPU at cool temps

Note I will go for the second choice

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118046

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118019 (This is recommanded)

Thank you. Does it have to be so expensive? I was just looking to replace the stock that *should* come with this. Not looking to do any extreme overclocking, and going for cheap as possible here. But if this is what it takes to keep my cpu from turning into ashes, i will do it :p 

EDIT: Does this replace the heatsink as well?
m
l
December 24, 2009 6:49:02 PM

flavoi said:
Thank you. Does it have to be so expensive? I was just looking to replace the stock that *should* come with this. Not looking to do any extreme overclocking, and going for cheap as possible here. But if this is what it takes to keep my cpu from turning into ashes, i will do it :p 

EDIT: Does this replace the heatsink as well?

Yes it is compatible and it will work excellent. I understand that you will not be overclocking the CPu but it will for sure keep temps down
m
l
December 24, 2009 10:29:37 PM

Ok, as long as that is as close to the stock price that can happen, I guess i have to increase the cost by $50. Or I have to decide whether or not to use the same processor, or find one with a heatsink. Is it really worth $50 dollars to use that processor, or drop down a few tenths of a ghz. For my goal (cheapo gaming rig) i might just change cpu.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
December 25, 2009 1:51:23 AM

flavoi said:
Ok, as long as that is as close to the stock price that can happen, I guess i have to increase the cost by $50. Or I have to decide whether or not to use the same processor, or find one with a heatsink. Is it really worth $50 dollars to use that processor, or drop down a few tenths of a ghz. For my goal (cheapo gaming rig) i might just change cpu.

Thanks for the help.

Everyone knows that copper is the best choice with cooling down the CPU but The CPu you have is going to be fine for your first build.
After awhile you are going to know how to overclocked it even by 15% 20%. Aftermarket parts are always best when building a gaming computer, even for your first time build.

If you change the CPU what are you think about...I'd really think that you are fine for a time build. But in the future you can update the CPu if you want because you can fine the same socket and use the same heatsink. make sure you buy aftermarket thermal paste too. Now backt o your CPU

Core Windsor
Multi-Core Dual-Core
Name Athlon 64 X2 6000+
Operating Frequency 3.0GHz
Hyper Transports 2000MHz
L1 Cache 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache 2 x 1MB
Manufacturing Tech 90 nm
64 bit Support Yes
Hyper-Transport Support Yes
Virtualization Technology Support Yes
Multimedia Instruction MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Voltage 1.35-1.4V
Thermal Design Power 125W

These settings are perfect for a gaming system...
Don't worry so much
I am an Intel CPU user but I know information about AMD...
Good luck and happy gaming
m
l
December 26, 2009 1:29:14 AM

Hey, i have an un-related question, and i dont want to make a new thread, so...
My Psu says it comes with 6 sata cables. Are those for power only, or can i use them to connect to my hardware. My Dvd drive and Hard Drive both come without cables, so i was wondering if i ened to pick up 2 sata cables...
m
l

Best solution

December 26, 2009 2:14:05 AM

This cooler is half the price and will cool your CPU just fine.
I have 3 of them

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 26, 2009 2:17:34 AM

Yeah the sata cables from your power supply will power your DVD and HDD.
And yes you will need those 2 SATA cables to connect to your mobo.

m
l
December 26, 2009 2:18:33 AM

flavoi said:
Hey, i have an un-related question, and i dont want to make a new thread, so...
My Psu says it comes with 6 sata cables. Are those for power only, or can i use them to connect to my hardware. My Dvd drive and Hard Drive both come without cables, so i was wondering if i ened to pick up 2 sata cables...

NO, But it has to be S-ATA DVD or CD power molex and not the data cable (SATA). That is why the PSU come with the Power Molex
You have to order some yourself.

here is a link to the good brand

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189204&cm_re=sata_cables-_-12-189-204-_-Product
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:19:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah the sata cables from your power supply will power your DVD and HDD.
And yes you will need those 2 SATA cables to connect to your mobo.

Quote:
NO, But it has to be S-ATA DVD or CD power molex and not the data cable (SATA). That is why the PSU come with the Power Molex
You have to order some yourself.

here is a link to the good brand

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] -_-Product

So my psu will power both of those fine, i just need data cables.

I might go check out some local retailers for sata cables so i dont have to pay $6 shipping
Thank you both for your help. I would have screwed up without your help, which caused me to go back and realize i only had Power sata not data sata (or however you say it).
Now, i wait for shipping...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 2:25:44 AM

Those Zalmans are overpriced crap, especially the 9900 which can perform worse than the 9700, move along.

I recommend getting the Xigmatek HDT-SD964. You can get it for $22 off newegg and it outperforms both the Zalman and Arctic Cooler.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:27:28 AM

AMW1011 said:
That Zalman is overpriced crap, especially the 9900 which can perform worse than the 9700, move along.

I recommend getting the Xigmatek HDT-SD964. You can get it for $22 off newegg and it outperforms both the Zalman and Arctic Cooler.

Ok. For budget needs i am going to go stock cooling for now (changed my cpu) and i will upgrade the heatsink with the next paycheck ;) 
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:28:49 AM

Yeah your power supply should power those drives just fine, they dont pull hardly any amps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 2:32:16 AM

flavoi said:
Ok. For budget needs i am going to go stock cooling for now (changed my cpu) and i will upgrade the heatsink with the next paycheck ;) 

Even if you do not overclock, I fully recommend getting an after market cooler. Either way, what CPU did you chose? The Athlon II 240 is likely your best bet if you have an AM2+ board.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:32:22 AM

Well, i think i am set now. Time to check out, and wait for shipping.
To-Upgrade when i have the money
Heatsink
Mouse

Thanks for everything. I am going to go check out now :) 
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:34:16 AM

AMW1011 said:
Even if you do not overclock, I fully recommend getting an after market cooler. Either way, what CPU did you chose? The Athlon II 240 is likely your best bet if you have an AM2+ board.

cpu
Well, i wanted an AM3 so i could go quad core in the future. I will upgrade the heatsink then. Stock cant be THAT bad, I hope.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:35:47 AM

Stock cooling will work just fine. :) 
Especially with the X II you chose, they run pretty cool anyway.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:42:44 AM

Well thats good. I like my cpu when it isnt on fire. Well, i think thats all the questions i have. Heres the rest of the build. I can make links if you want.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:45:51 AM

Make sure that mobo supports ddr3 memory.
You have ddr3 memory listed.

It may only run ddr2 memory.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:47:16 AM

sirheck said:
Make sure that mobo supports ddr3 memory.
You have ddr3 memory listed.

It may only run ddr2 memory.

" Memory Standard DDR3 1333/1066/800 "
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 2:50:10 AM

A few suggestions:

This is a good case for less:

That RAM is notoriously horrible. This is what I just got and has been winning a lot of rewards lately for budget DDR3:

I must HIGHLY recommend that you try to squeeze out enough for this GPU:

For the extra $30 you get a LOT.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:51:58 AM

flavoi said:
" Memory Standard DDR3 1333/1066/800 "

Ah k then the rest looks good, you should be set then.

Just looked at the case that AMW listed, GO for it, it is a very nice case.
Especially for the price.
m
l
December 26, 2009 2:54:48 AM

AMW1011 said:
A few suggestions:

That RAM is notoriously horrible. This is what I just got and has been winning a lot of rewards lately for budget DDR3:

Thanks for the ram. I have grown to like the case i choose ( i have no idea why)
And i plan to update later and get a screaming gpu (6 months depending on how the tech looks)
This is my "bare bones and upgrade later" machine
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 3:11:07 AM

flavoi said:
Rosewill Wind Knight- 49.99 free shipping 49.95
Antec Two Hundred Black- 39.95 18.95 shipping 58.9

And i assume it doesnt matter that the ram suggested has no heatspreader?

Ah, it was free shipping a few days ago, I just ordered one.

No, it doesn't matter at all. DDR3 uses much less power and therefor produces less heat than DDR2.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ddr3-4gb-p55,2462-7...

m
l
December 26, 2009 3:12:23 AM

For the ram, ive had four sticks of the Crucials and four sticks of the OCZ,s
I always used the OCZ,s to get my machine running caused the Crucials
(i had) and RMA,ed never worked.

Nothing against crucial just the sticks i had booted about 50% of the time.

You should be good either way ya go.
m
l
December 26, 2009 3:15:21 AM

Thanks. And, I assume the cpu will not come with thermal compound (unless it has a pad), so whats good (and cheap)?
m
l
December 26, 2009 3:17:14 AM

The Athlon X II you listed should come with a heatsink with preapplied
MX2/MX3 paste.

Just take the plastic off and slap it on.
m
l
December 26, 2009 3:18:55 AM

Out of curiosity, how did you know that? Experience, or did i miss it labeled somewhere?
m
l
December 26, 2009 3:24:25 AM

Experience, they put the plastic on to keep the paste from getting smeared.
it will be a grey color and very thin.
m
l
December 26, 2009 3:26:38 AM

Ok. Thats it for me. This will be great. Now all i have to do is wait 3 days, and go find a monitor at best buy (gift card)
m
l
December 26, 2009 4:36:25 AM

AMW1011 said:
A few suggestions:

Well there is someone here that is clearly not reading the replies or topic. Makes me wonder if they half skipping thru
the important information that has been said here.
That video card that you have pick out recommends a 400 watts PSU, he only has 400Watts. That's cutting too close
m
l
December 26, 2009 4:41:08 AM

Good luck Flavoi with your hardware parts...

Some unacknowledged information I see in the last six replies to help Flavoi
m
l
December 26, 2009 4:45:04 AM

Keiki646 said:
Well there is someone here that is clearly not reading the replies or topic. Makes me wonder if they half skipping thru
That video card that you have pick out recommends a 400 watts PSU, he only has 300Watts

He has a 400 watt PSU, figured you read that.

I did. :sarcastic: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2009 7:29:39 PM

Keiki646 said:
That video card that you have pick out recommends a 400 watts PSU, he only has 400Watts. That's cutting too close

The 400w requirement is assuming the 400w PSU is of average quality, the Corsair 400w PSU he has listed is of excellent quality and will run the card perfectly fine.
m
l
December 27, 2009 12:18:01 AM

Yay I picked a good PSU :) 
m
l
December 27, 2009 12:19:57 AM

flavoi said:
Yay I picked a good PSU :) 

Yes you did.
Shouldnt have any problems with it.
m
l
December 28, 2009 5:26:21 PM

One building question. The guide i will be using suggests you let the thermal compound dry over night. in the guide, he used Arctic Silver 5, which is a liquid. Since i am using a pad (i highly doubt its liquid), do i need to let it dry overnight?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 28, 2009 8:01:49 PM

First, Arctic Silver 5 as well as most thermal paste, is just that a paste.

There is no drying but there is a cure time where the thermal paste changes state slightly and may offer better performance after a lot of hours, but over night is not long enough we are talking 50 hours. This happens naturally and does not need to be specially done, just let it go.

Why are you using a pad? Pads tend to perform quite poorly. I recommend spending the $5-$10 on some OCZ Freeze, Arctic Cooling MX-2/3, or Tuniq TX-2 which are all top rank thermal compounds.

Refer to this guide to learn how best to apply the paste:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
m
l
December 28, 2009 8:02:08 PM

flavoi said:
One building question. The guide i will be using suggests you let the thermal compound dry over night. in the guide, he used Arctic Silver 5, which is a liquid. Since i am using a pad (i highly doubt its liquid), do i need to let it dry overnight?

its not a liquid, its more like toothpaste.
Just slap it on and go.

No need to let it dry.
m
l
December 28, 2009 8:15:43 PM

Ok.
I went back and read the guide, and it said "cure", not dry.
m
l
December 28, 2009 8:36:24 PM

flavoi said:
Ok.
I went back and read the guide, and it said "cure", not dry.

Yeah just apply it and go.
Dont worry about if it cures or dry,s it will do that on its own with thermal cycles.
Which really doesnt matter, i have tried just about every paste under the sun
and have never seen a difference in temps at all after the so called curing time.

Main thing is to apply the proper amount, not too much and not to little.
m
l
December 28, 2009 9:24:42 PM

My prefered method of 'curing' Arctic Silver 5 is to go straight into my OCing adventure after I apply the heatsink. 6-12+ hours of Prime95 followed by 4-6 hours shut off. Generaly I can gain 2-3C in the first week like this.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2009 1:43:04 AM

One note on the aftermarket heat sink. If you can, get it before you put your computer together, many of them require you to completely remove the motherboard to install it after the fact due to a bracket that needs to be in place behind the motherboard.
m
l
!