Sign in with
Your question

DELL E310 SATA 02

Last response: in Storage
August 13, 2011 12:12:59 AM

Hello, I am adding a second HDD to my DELL Dimension E310. The original factory boot drive (WD 80Gb SATA)is attached to the port labeled in the BIOS as SATA 0. When I attach the unformatted new HDD (WD 500Gb SATA 3Mbps) to the BIOS port titled SATA 2 (only other SATA port in the BIOS) and enable the port in the BIOS setup the boot returnes an error message "Error auto-sensing secondary hard drive disk drive 1".When I select F1 to reboot I receive a message that a boot drive cannot be found. If I remove the drive cable from SATA 2 port and attempt to reboot the same sequence occurs. If I go to Setup and turn SATA 2 port off the system boots normally.

More about : dell e310 sata

August 13, 2011 12:18:36 AM

Fidelity 07 said:
Hello, I am adding a second HDD to my DELL Dimension E310. The original factory boot drive (WD 80Gb SATA)is attached to the port labeled in the BIOS as SATA 0. When I attach the unformatted new HDD (WD 500Gb SATA 3Mbps) to the BIOS port titled SATA 2 (only other SATA port in the BIOS) and enable the port in the BIOS setup the boot returnes an error message "Error auto-sensing secondary hard drive disk drive 1".When I select F1 to reboot I receive a message that a boot drive cannot be found. If I remove the drive cable from SATA 2 port and attempt to reboot the same sequence occurs. If I go to Setup and turn SATA 2 port off the system boots normally.

m
l
a c 301 G Storage
August 14, 2011 1:25:20 AM

Is the BIOS able to detect the new drive if you attach it to SATA 0?
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2011 1:37:20 AM

Yes. The BIOS wiii detect the new drive on either of the SATA ports with the old and new cable
m
l
a c 301 G Storage
August 16, 2011 11:02:13 AM

I doubt it will make a difference, but try installing the drive's OPT1 jumper to limit its SATA interface speed to 1.5 Gbps.
m
l
!