Sign in with
Your question

N00b alert - Which computer to get?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 19, 2009 3:37:20 PM

Sorry guys total noob here. :( 

I'm looking to get a computer for Christmas and I need help deciding which one.

Which one of these is the best for running GTA:IV?

Acer Aspire M7300

Processor: AMD Phenom II X3 710 (2.6GHz, 2MB Cache)
RAM: 6GB
HDD: 1.5TB
Graphics Card: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 485

Dell Studio XPS 8000

Processor: Intel Core i7-860 (2.80GHz, 8MB, L3 Cache)
RAM: 4096MB 1067 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [4x1024]
HDD: 1TB
Graphics Card: 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT220 graphics card

Dell XPS 430

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8400 (4M Cache, 2.66 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
RAM: 6144MB 1066 MHz Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM [2x2048 + 2x1024]
HDD: 1TB
Graphics Card: 512MB ATI Radeon 4850 Graphics card

More about : n00b alert computer

a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2009 3:40:04 PM

The GT220 is NOT a good solution for GTA IV. So unless you can upgrade the graphics card, I wouldn't do the Dell XPS 8000.
The Acer has the best video card in it (if that's a 4850) as it has 1GB of memory. The 512MB 4850 in the Dell XPS 430 will be limited quite a bit due to the lower memory. GTA IV likes a lot of video memory in order to turn up the graphics settings.

All in all, the Dell XPS 8000 has the best CPU by far. The i7-860 is your best CPU listed.

My guess is though, you can build a much better system for less money if you do it yourself. Dell is going to charge you a premium for graphics card upgrades and anything else you do.

EDIT: If you're building or buying a new PC for gaming, I would not do anything less than:

Minimum: ATI 1GB 4850 or GTS 250
Recommended: ATI 1GB 4870 or GTX 260 (or Higher)
October 19, 2009 3:49:02 PM

Building isn't an option atm. :( 

The XPS 800 has the option to upgrade to a Single 1GB Nvidia GeForce GTS 240 Graphics Card, is that better?
Related resources
October 19, 2009 4:20:51 PM

Only a a little bit. This or this is more of what you need for GTAIV.
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2009 4:37:14 PM

get the xps 8000 with the cheapest graphics there is and upgrade the graphics when you get the pc
October 19, 2009 4:49:23 PM

Defo the Dell 8000. But If I'm not mistaken, a dell is a dell and they tend to come with motherboards that you CAN'T overclock or alter in any way.

As everyone else says above, you WILL need to upgrade to the GTS250/4850 (which evers cheapest) to play GTAIV/Crysis at 35+ frames at high settings with a good resolution.

Do you mind if you post the prices for each machine? I wanna know what dell has up their sleeves for noob buyers.

edit: regarding the gt220, its infact not THAT bad of a card to actually play the game. But you will need to play it at low settings, at a semi-low resolution to get around 25fps out of it. So you can stick with that GPU for a while intill you can afford an upgrade. On the other hand if its a christmas prezzi, then dell should have an upgrade option on there site.

Another thing to point out is, you WILL need to upgrade you PSU if you decide to go with an upgrade. Call dell and ask them that you need a PSU upgrade if they don't offer it on the site. you will need to tell them that as they tend to supply low-end low wattage generic power supplies.
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2009 5:01:37 PM

If building is not an option then don't expect to get your money's worth, if you decide to get the Dell then make sure it ships with the cheapest video card so you can upgrade once you recieve the PC just like obsidian suggested....

Be prepared to recieve a junk mobo (intel) as well .......

My suggestion is that you look at these companies since they use genuine brand name parts.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

October 19, 2009 5:24:52 PM

Thank you all so much for your help! I think i'm gonna get the Dell XPS 8000 with upgraded card as upgrading to another card isn't an option either really.

Thread can be closed, deleted or whatever y'all do here. :) 

Thanks again!
October 19, 2009 7:30:04 PM

if u haven't purchased ps3 which will run GTAIV the bets for least money.
October 19, 2009 7:30:50 PM

I've got an Xbox 360 but for me a computer would be much better, I could mod the game till my hearts content.
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2009 8:49:35 PM

I played with Dell's site a little bit earlier. You can order the XPS 8000 with the i7-860 & upgrade to the GTX 260 with 1792MB RAM. That should play GTAIV just fine. The configuration I had setup included 8GB of RAM. No need to upgrade further (which they offered).
October 19, 2009 8:54:10 PM

Ah, that's not on the UK site. :|
October 19, 2009 9:41:30 PM

http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity_i5_He...

check this out.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66 GHZ 8MB Cache LGA1156 ***Overclockable XXX***
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL NQ Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card

all for £738
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2009 10:46:39 PM

If you're not going to upgrade, get the XPS430.

The CPU is better than the Phenom one, and the 4850 is much better than the GT220 and equal to the 1GB. (you won't see any benefits to a 1GB 4850 unless you crossfire them and run it on larger resolutions...a single 4850 by itself can't use anywhere near 1GB)
October 20, 2009 2:11:46 AM

OvrClkr said:
If building is not an option then don't expect to get your money's worth, if you decide to get the Dell then make sure it ships with the cheapest video card so you can upgrade once you recieve the PC just like obsidian suggested....

Be prepared to recieve a junk mobo (intel) as well .......

My suggestion is that you look at these companies since they use genuine brand name parts.

http://www.ibuypower.com/

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I would also agree to get the Core i7 system and replace the GPU and perhaps add RAM eventually and a BD burner but you can upgrade your parts later on. As for immediatly playing GTA4 you will have to get the others if you dont want to install a graphics card by yourself.

I dont agree with overclocker on which motherboard they will give, it doesnt specify if its an intel or ECS, or Asus, but which ever it is, it is fine since you arent an avid PC overclocker or user. Intel motherboards are actually pretty reliable and even thought they are plain and vanilla boards they do come with some options at the X58 level. They will also fit perfectly with your i7 as Intel made those i7s with the specs of their own X58.
October 20, 2009 2:21:37 AM

I strongly recommend you to build the rig yourself. Don't make the same mistake as I did with my old Sony Vaio Pre-built Desktop PC. Normally, OEM pre-built PC have limited upgrade path. My problem in the past was that I could not upgrade my video card because I could not upgrade my PSU to begin with. Sony Vaio Case Size is not compatible with other manufacturer PSUs even if it looks nice. I tried to go with Sony PSU but Sony never make a PSU with more than 300W for the Sony Vaio model that I got for Christmas in 2004. Sony only allows us to replace the same spare parts which were broken but not upgrading them which kinda sucks. After this bad lesson, I would never buy another OEM Pre-built PCs again but except for pre-built notebook PCs or building a desktop PC myself. Think again before you proceed to buy those OEM pre-built machines because at the end, you might have problems with upgrading some components. The good part of Pre-built PCs are maybe that they tend to be cheaper than custom-built PCs and you don't have to spend time building it but you cannot choose the specific components that you really wanted to combine together. Also, you would better get a DirectX 11 video card than an older generation DirectX 10.1 video card so maybe get the ones with Radeon HD 5850/Radeon HD 5870 instead so you can play DX 11 games or be able to use full DX 11 features.
October 20, 2009 7:03:30 AM

dougie_boy said:
http://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Infinity_i5_He...

check this out.

CPU: Intel Core i5 750 2.66 GHZ 8MB Cache LGA1156 ***Overclockable XXX***
Memory: 4GB (2x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory (G.SKILL NQ Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX***)
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 5850 PCI-E 16X 1GB Video Card

all for £738

And in small letters next to it. "£849 in. VAT" :'( 

Thanks everybody for your help, I am going to look into it some more but for now I won't be checking this thread anymore.
:hello:  Thanks again! :D 
October 20, 2009 10:57:00 PM

Well, if you ever do come back, you should be able to build a rig with an i7 cpu and a 4890 for WAY under £500. I would never buy from Dell/Ailenware or any big wanna-bie "scam the no0b with big fancy price tag" websites.
!