Help first time overclocking

Sum dude

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Ok so I am a complete noob when it comes to these kinda things so please bear with me.
So today I wanted to get a 560ti but they didnt have them so I just went with the Gigabyte gtx 560 (non ti). So i want to overclock it but i dont know where to start? My card came with Gigabyte easy boost. do i merely slide the meter? how do i know when to stop? My specs are:

Asus P5k-e
Intel Q9400 2.66ghz
Gigabyte gtx 560
4GB Kingston HyperX
Cooler Master extreme 600W(got it like 4 years ago)

so does my power have anything to do ith the limit. How much do you recommend I overclock the GPU, Memory and Shader etc need to know asap thanks

Sum dude

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

bump

spike15_mk

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
With 4 years old PSU, you can, but be very very careful. I personally recommend to OC' just your GPU(if you are playing games). Download MSI Afterburner, increase everything for 15 Mhz, and test for artifacts with ATI Tool, Furmark and 3Dmark. Watch out temps, and you should be fine.

p.s If you have a chance replace your PSU, or at least open it to see if it is OK.

Sum dude

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I used MSI afterburner and increased core clock from 830mhz to 900mhz. I ran furmak but stopped it after about 5 min cos the temperature reached about 70degreesC and I didnt know what I was doing. So how long do I keep furmak running for? How will I know that this new clock is stable? and lastly at what temperature should I stop at? should it just reach a stable temperature and just stop there, or will it keep rising. thanks