WD as bad as the reviews?

Mrthorp

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
i am looking at buying a 750gb-1tb HDD for my machine. now, i assume i want at least a 32mb cache( im using it in my gaming rig, i am not dropping mad cash on a "gaming drive")
i had some WD drives, at a reasonable price point, but the reviews on them were horrible to say the least! slow,, DOA, went bad after a week etc. My current discs are WD's, but before they started with this whole blue green black thing.. they run fine. has the quality gone down that much?

currently i have a samsung in the cart. 32 mb cache, 7200 rpm, has great reviews...

what are some drives you guy WONT use and why.. why are you currently using?

thanks!

tecmo34

Administrator
Seagate is basically the only drive I try to avoid. I'm a big supporter of the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB. I've used all WD prior to making the switch to Samsung and never had problems with them.

What is the drive you are looking at (post a link :D )

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
about half the drives i've purchased the past 10 years have been WD and i've not had a problem with a single one yet.
whereas i have experienced failures with seagates and OCZ SSDs.

with that said, i won't buy HDDs online. i'm sure they put up with more abuse shipping to your house by UPS than they do being shipping in bulk to the local store.

MarkG

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2004
I've got seven WD Green and Blue drives here at the moment with up to 16,000 hours on them and no problems so far. The only drive I've had go bad was the 640GB Toshiba drive in my laptop.

I do somewhat agree with the comment above about buying drives online; I've been amazed by the lack of protection used for some of the drives I've received from online stores, while others have be quite carefully packed.

Edit: I also have two Seagate drives in my PC at work with over 30,000 hours each so they seem OK so far.