Windows xp nvidia geforce 8400 GS This device cannot find enough free resources

JohnnyClueless

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hi All,

I just recently installed a PNY Nvidia GeForce 8400 GS video card into an older work machine:

Dell Dimension XPS
4 GB DDR

I am running Windows XP Pro.

The GeForce is an additional card to enable multi-monitor support. The existing card is an ATI Radeon 9800.

In order to install the card, I had reorder some of the PCI cards.

The error I am getting from the device manager is:

"This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12) If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system."

Device Type: Disaplay adapters
Manufacturer: NVIDIA

Does anyone have any idea what the resource conflict may be? IRQs? Memory?

The issue may be that Windows XP does not handle the reordering of PCI cards well and that re-installing Windows may be a solution. This is a pretty stable Windows machine, and I would like to avoid the hassle of having to reinstall the OS to enable this card. If this is an IRQ issue, is there a way with Windows XP to manually resolve them?

If this is a memory issue, do I need to do some memory management manipulation to allow the OS to access the 512MB on the video card?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
John

JohnnyClueless

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

UPDATE: As it turns out, it is because I have an ATI card in my machine as well and the NVidia drivers do not play well with the ATI ones. This makes me angry... but also provides me with an excuse to go buy a new and improved ATI card.