Sign in with
Your question

Core i7 920 running at 84 C idle - problem?

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2009 4:51:05 PM

I'm building my first computer and I'm in the BIOS menu right now setting everything up, and I see that my CPU temperature is sitting at 84 C. That sounds unsually high to me, but I didn't know if that was typical of this CPU and I just have to buy an aftermarket cooler, or if that's indicative of a problem.

If anyone can help me out I would really appreciate it. It's been a grueling week trying to build this PC.
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 4:59:11 PM

TURN OFF THAT COMPUTER NOW!

There is a problem with the thermal compound or the placement of the hsf. a cpu should not be going to 70C under load. yet alone idle.

Clean the Cpu and HSF off all the thermal compound and then put new amount of thermal compound like arctic silver 5, reseat the HSF and see if the reduces temps.

m
l
December 23, 2009 7:17:21 PM

I'm currently in the process of trying to remove the heatsink (it's stubbornly locked into place), but just to get an idea of whether or not things are in order up to this point, what sort of idle temperature should I be seeing normally?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 7:21:10 PM

jofo said:
I'm currently in the process of trying to remove the heatsink (it's stubbornly locked into place), but just to get an idea of whether or not things are in order up to this point, what sort of idle temperature should I be seeing normally?

On stock cooling idle temp somewhere around 40 to 45 c. (maybe less) On aftermarket coolers, It could go as low as 30c.

As for cleaning it, this already made thread may help you out. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-...

When putting on new thermal compound, be sure not to put to much or to little compound on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_grease#Applying_an...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 8:24:31 PM

Buddy, if you want your CPU to live, i'd shut it off and use another computer until its fixed. For me, if my CPU goes over 50C on load, i start to worry, if it goes over 60C (On full load) than I get scared. IMO 84 is way to high for idle, either your cooler isn't properly attacked or you didn't apply your thermal paste correctly.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 8:29:10 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
Buddy, if you want your CPU to live, i'd shut it off and use another computer until its fixed. For me, if my CPU goes over 50C on load, i start to worry, if it goes over 60C (On full load) than I get scared. IMO 84 is way to high for idle, either your cooler isn't properly attacked or you didn't apply your thermal paste correctly.

Well for me, i like following intel and amd on there cpu temp recommendations, which is always around 70C for most cpus. Although in truth, the cpus still be functioning around 100c but this will shorten the cpu life time by a lot.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 8:30:35 PM

Make sure the heatsink is actually connected to the CPU fan power connector on the motherboard. If the fan isn't getting power, it's not going to cool very well.

If that fan is running, and you're still seeing 84C at idle then you have something seriously wrong with the heatsink install.
m
l
December 23, 2009 8:47:03 PM

The CPU came with thermal paste pre-applied to the bottom of the heatsink, and I just now lifted it out and saw that the paste had rubbed off onto the CPU. I can also see that the fan is indeed spinning. I followed the installation instructions as closely as possible. From what I can tell, I did everything exactly according to Intel's documentation.

I can't imagine how I could have botched such a relatively straightforward procedure. Do you think an alternative thermal paste will really solve the problem? Is it at all possible that I simply have bad unit?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 9:01:13 PM

Even the stock thermal pad isn't going to give you such horrible idle temperatures (assuming room temp and airflow aren't issues with the computer). If you're using the stock Intel heatsink, make sure the 4 push pins are FULLY seated. They should actually pop through the motherboard and physically "click" into place on the back side. If it isn't seated completely, with all 4 pins fully pushed through and grasping the back side, it won't contact the CPU well and therefore it won't make good thermal contact.

Double check that.
m
l
December 23, 2009 9:22:12 PM

jerreece, I'll be sure to double check that.

I have an obligation I have to attend to so I won't be able to update with my progress for a few hours, but I want to say thanks big time to everyone who has offered advice so far. It honestly makes my life a lot easier to have quality help like this available.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2009 12:56:52 AM

warmon6 said:
Well for me, i like following intel and amd on there cpu temp recommendations, which is always around 70C for most cpus. Although in truth, the cpus still be functioning around 100c but this will shorten the cpu life time by a lot.

yes I know i am a bit exagerate with worrying about temps but I really feel more comfortable when my hardware is running cooler.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2009 2:10:06 AM

blackhawk1928 said:
yes I know i am a bit exagerate with worrying about temps but I really feel more comfortable when my hardware is running cooler.

Well you do got a point. Cooler hardware = long happy computer.
m
l
December 24, 2009 3:01:07 AM

I double checked the pushpins. Pulled each one out then snapped them firmly back into place. No change.

I'm considering sending the CPU back for an exchange unless you guys have any other ideas.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2009 3:10:45 AM

I doubt your high temps are directly because of the CPU itself. Never heard of a CPU that was defective in that it put out too much heat.

Can you give us any more specs on your system?

What case do you have?

Case Fans.. (size, number of them, pulling cool air into case, pushing out, etc)

Room temperature?

The thermal pad that comes on the stock heat sink/fan isn't the best in the world. But it's not completely horrid either. Are you running the CPU at stock speeds? The i7-920 I believe is 2.66Ghz. Also, can you confirm that your CPU is truly at idle? Meaning CPU usage is at like 0-2% usage?

You might also try logging into Windows, and installing a program such as Real Temp and determining what it shows your CPU temperature to be. Just in case for some reason your motherboard is not showing the proper CPU temps.
m
l
December 24, 2009 5:03:30 AM

Specs:

Case - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Motherboard - EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR X58

Power supply - Ultra LSP750 750-Watt
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Hard drive - Western Digital Caviar Blue WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA

Video card - XFX Radeon HD 4870 Video Card - 512MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

2 case fans---1 120mm rear fan and 1 140mm top fan.

Room temperature is about 68 degrees. I recall the BIOS reading a clock speed of 2.67 Ghz. As for pulling up temperature monitoring software in Windows, I haven't installed the OS yet and my optical drive isn't being detected (but that's a problem I'll focus on later).

I'll give it another go and make sure the CPU usage is definitely at idle. Before I do that, though, I want to try spreading around the thermal paste a little more. It looks like a fairly thin, splotchy coating. Is it okay to do this with my fingers or should I use a certain type of material?
m
l
December 24, 2009 5:32:20 AM

Full Load Temps:
30-60c = Most Desirable Temps
61-66c = Warm
67-72c = Very Warm To Hot
73-78c = Hot (Dangerous!)
79+ c = Too Hot!

I wonder at what temps the CPU starts welding to the socket? lol! (100c?)

Anyway, you need to check your voltage mate!

I'm positive the i5 & i7 can hit 4 GHz on an Aftermarket Fan Cooler!
(And to me that's just over doing it!)

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2009 5:41:37 AM

^ For the i5/i7 series mid-high 70s'C are considered hot, but still within (abet the boundaries) of the safe zone. (the stock cooler goes over 80'C at load during prime95)

m
l
December 24, 2009 6:40:55 AM

Are you absolutely sure your readings are in 'C? if your roomtemp is 68'C then you wouldn't be able to be in the room...

Now if your readings are in F, that 68 would be 20'C(a airconed room) and CPU would be at 28,8'C(84F)... which seems to be the case, the pc would shut off if it overheats...

Please just make sure of your mesuring units... Makes a big difference when asking for help...
m
l
December 24, 2009 6:47:30 AM

Sorry... Yes, that's 68 degrees farenheit. The CPU temp is in celsius.
m
l
December 24, 2009 6:56:50 AM

Ah thanx, ok... how stable/acurate is your voltages?

And how hot is the heatsink to the touch when its reporting those temps? if it is making good contact with the cpu you should almost burn your finger.
m
l
December 24, 2009 7:05:49 AM

Update: I just reseated the heatsink for probably the 10th time today and the temp is hovering around 35c!! :bounce:  I think the problem was that I wasn't pressing one or two of the pushpins all the way down, even though I thought I was.

The temp has been slowly climbing about 1 degree every 15-20 seconds, however, so I'm gonna leave it running for a while and see just how hot it gets. If I have anymore trouble I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me! I had already made up my mind to send the CPU in for an exchange tomorrow, but this thread convinced me to keep trying. So, so glad I get to (hopefully) avoid the extra hassle of exchanging. Thank God I was able to get help from smart people who actually know what they're talking about. I literally started jumping around my living room in excitement when I saw the low temp reading. :lol: 

Thanks again, guys!!
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2009 10:22:02 AM

jofo said:
Update: I just reseated the heatsink for probably the 10th time today and the temp is hovering around 35c!! :bounce:  I think the problem was that I wasn't pressing one or two of the pushpins all the way down, even though I thought I was.

The temp has been slowly climbing about 1 degree every 15-20 seconds, however, so I'm gonna leave it running for a while and see just how hot it gets. If I have anymore trouble I'll let you guys know.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me! I had already made up my mind to send the CPU in for an exchange tomorrow, but this thread convinced me to keep trying. So, so glad I get to (hopefully) avoid the extra hassle of exchanging. Thank God I was able to get help from smart people who actually know what they're talking about. I literally started jumping around my living room in excitement when I saw the low temp reading. :lol: 

Thanks again, guys!!

No problem!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
m
l
!