Going CRT to LCD

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I use two old 17" CRT monitors for my Linux desktop. I want to upgrade now to LCDs as I think they will be better for my eyes. BUT I don't want to lose screenspace. Modern LCDs are widescreens as opposed to the more square shape of my old CRTs. So two 17" or 19" LCDs would be too wide and not tall enough I think.

One 30" or so LCD would be the approximate same and shape as what I have, but those are very expensive. :(

I was thinking to try to configure X to let me turn on 19" sideways, or even both, but I don't know if that would work either.

Any advice?

Thanks!

You can turn one or both monitors in portrait mode.

Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and put these lines in the Section "Device" section:

# Use LeftOf for landscape orientation
# Option "TwinViewOrientation" "LeftOf"
# Use Below for portrait orientation
Option "TwinViewOrientation" "Below"

In KDE Control Center > Peripherals > Display, set "Orientation" to Left (90 Degrees). You can also accomplish this with the nvidia-settings program that is part of the driver install package.
Restart X
Physically rotate both monitors to portrait mode. Watch out for the cables while you do this.

4745454b

Titan
Is square better for you? Many LCDs can rotate, I think they are a bit more then normal however. Two 19" LCDs that can rotate are cheaper then a 30". The problem you'll have with the 30" is thats a lot of pixels. Normal resolution for a 17" CRT is 1024x768. (you might be running 1280x1024.) This means for both monitors, your only pushing either 1,572,864 or 2,621,440 pixels. A single 30" monitor runs at 2560x1600, which is 4,096,000. This is much bigger then your CRTs and possibly more then your video card can handle. Unless you need the square shape, just get to 19" monitors, as its roughly the same pixel numbers that your running now. (1440x900x2 = 2,592,000) Yes they are wide screen, but is that bad?

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
I guess I wouldn't be losing space but, to clarify, my current monitors have a visible space of about 31 x 23.5 cm each. So it's 23.5 cm tall and 31 wide. In total I have therefore 62 cm. wide.

A 17" LCD is 34x27 cm but that's the machine. I presume the visible space is less. A 19" LCD is 47x34 for the entire machine. So the visible height I'm guessing is around 30. But then the entire width is over 90 cm which is gigantic.

OK, so I wouldn't be losing space if I took two, you're right, but I'm wondering if it will be too wide with two 19" wide screens. Because they're meant to be wide by themselves--90 cm seems too big, no?

So I wonder if it's smarter to just get one. But then I don't want to have less space then I do now.

Am I making sense even?

4745454b

Titan
Sort of. But is wide bad? You could always stack them if you wanted. You don't have to put them side by side, its just easier that way. I/we don't know what you're doing, but I don't understand why wide is bad.

ram1009

Distinguished
FWIW, I just bought a Samsung 26" monitor + TV for $350 from Sam's club and I absolutely love it. I replaced a 28" Viewsonic monitor only and the performance is superior not to mention I can watch TV any time I want to. Another brick in my man cave.

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009

Well wide is relative, not bad. :)

But 90 cm will I think be too much. Stacking them won't work for me.

What do I do? Good question. :)

I do web development so I have email or code in one monitor and a browser in the other usually. I don't play games or do much graphics work--I am a programmer.

I'm now guessing that two sideways 19" might be nice. I suppose it's hard to say until it's sitting on my desk but I wanted to hear what people would advise me. Before I invest in the hardware. :)

Thanks.

4745454b

Titan
Why won't stacking work? It could if you want. The only problem with widescreen and coding is you'll have to scroll a bit more. You won't have to if you put them in portrait mode. I've used two monitors before, its great.

CaptainDirk

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Hey evongugg, rotation does work in X. The actual code that works for me is:

Option "RandRRotation" "true"
Option "Rotate" "left

I use nvidia and Xfce. Anyhow it's hysterical to see it with my monitors as they are, but it's great and it works! :)

> Why won't stacking work?

Well if the first one is 34 cm tall then the second one goes from around 34 cm until 66. I can't imagine being able to use screenspace that's 60 centimeters up from my desktop. :)

> The only problem with widescreen and coding is you'll have to scroll a bit more. You won't have to if you put them in portrait mode. I've used two monitors before, its great

Have you (or anyone else) every used portrait mode with a 19" ? Or two of them? :)

Thanks everyone.