Temperature Issues, c2d e6750

jaffinator

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hey folks.

I recently came home from college and have been experiencing some issues with my main media/gaming computer. I had played plenty of games in the spring, took the summer off and the computer was seldom used for gaming by my brother, then returned in the fall and was caught up with coursework, so I just recently got back into "hardcore" gaming after a multi-month absence.

I've had a few issues in World of Warcraft with performance, but I think that may be due to some addons. It may be worth noting, however. The game just does not run as well or smoothly as it used to.

I got home from school about three days ago, plugged her in and booted up to kill some Xmas break time, and found that everything was working out pretty well. Wow was bugging me so I tried killing my settings and applying some gfx modifier macros. I've been running Wow with a .bat file that prioritizes it on the CPU, and have also been working to keep it a high priority in-game with a macro.

Last night I received a Wow #132 Error (General problem), and rebooted. It kept throwing this error, so I reset the BIOS to optimized defaults. What do I get? The dreaded "BootMGR not found" error. I go back into BIOS, reset to factory defaults, and get the same issue. My third romp in the BIOS had me enabling a few SATA options, and the computer booted into the windows setup screen... then flashed a blue screen (less than half a second long) and rebooted. It then got to boot options, and I went into system repair, tried a Startup Repair, which subsequently failed. I then went into System Restore, and as soon as I clicked the button for it, the computer rebooted and started up fine.

I haven't had any issues similar to those today, however, the computer has shut down on me four or five times in the middle of gameplay. I downloaded a CPU Temp Monitor that says I'm rolling around in the 85-90C range under about 80% load. Before I go into Windows each time after a shutdown I check the BIOS' temp monitor and it reads between 98-101C, while system is around 57C. I can only assume these shut-downs are temperature based, but at the same time, they seem sudden and I think the BIOS reset may have done something to cause this issue. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Below is some pertinent DxDiag info. It should be noted that I am using a stock cooler and the case is clean, all fans seem to be working just fine.

Time of this report: 12/23/2009, 16:36:38
Machine name: JORDAN-DESKTOP
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model: P35-DS3L
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6750 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 6142MB RAM
Page File: 1515MB used, 10767MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

Solution
You could have bad sensors. Have you tried laying your computer on its side so the motherboard is horizontal (The HSF directly on top of the mobo)? If that causes your CPU temps to drop by a lot, then your heatsink/fan is really bad...and you should turn off your comp immediately. If not, then your sensors are shot...and you have no way to determine your actual core temperatures.

As for anther cooler:

I recommend two low profile coolers: the Artic Freezer Pro7 or the CM N520
They both cost about $35 on Amazon or Newegg.
The Pro7 is a bit smaller, and the CM N520 cools better.

They should be able to cool your comp way down while allowing you to overclock.

AMW1011

Distinguished
When I bought my E6750 the heatsink was broken with a missing pin in one corner. I called Intel Tech support and they told me to use it anyway because it should only need 3 pins. I knew that sounded dumb, but I wanted to try it for a bit to make sure my mobo and RAM were alright before sending back my E6750. I did it and it worked fine, I could not pull the heatsink off without bending the motherboard so I let it work and started researching some after market coolers. Well I let it on for about an hour doing some video conversions, boy was it fast to me back then, and I came back and the conversions were really slow so I did what I always do in case of problems, check temps. Well the temps were between 100-105c so I immediately shut it down, on inspection the heatsink was still attached to the motherboard but was loose enough to not be making contact with the CPU. I immediately ordered an Arctic Cooler 7 Pro and installed that which was fine. However, after that I could never keep the CPU stable above 2 GHz, so I sent it back.

Hope that helps.

jaffinator

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Just pulled out the heatsink, cleaned it, cleaned the paste from both the cpu and HSF, reapplied, attached, reseated (to make sure it was still making good contact.

Current temp is 85C. I guess it's not 100C. :/

Any other suggestions?

jaffinator

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Just booted up Wow. While playing, it's at 98C, and while another window is open instead it drops to 85C. Also, when Wow is the window on top there's a light buzzing sound that comes from the tower.

Blah.

You could have bad sensors. Have you tried laying your computer on its side so the motherboard is horizontal (The HSF directly on top of the mobo)? If that causes your CPU temps to drop by a lot, then your heatsink/fan is really bad...and you should turn off your comp immediately. If not, then your sensors are shot...and you have no way to determine your actual core temperatures.

As for anther cooler:

I recommend two low profile coolers: the Artic Freezer Pro7 or the CM N520
They both cost about $35 on Amazon or Newegg.
The Pro7 is a bit smaller, and the CM N520 cools better.

They should be able to cool your comp way down while allowing you to overclock.

Solution

jaffinator

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
It looks like the cooler may have been the issue. I found that laying the pc on its side with the door off brought the CPU temp down about 15C. Do you think there's anything I can get from BestBuy for a quick fix?