Building a new PC

BUDGET RANGE: $650-850 After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Some engineering drafting programs for home use (ProE, AutoCAD), some gaming.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, tower (I do need a power supply)

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an Intel i5 or i7, or if too expensive a Core 2 Quad or equivalent AMD Chip
Windows Vista or 7
Blu-Ray Player, 1 GB Video Card Radeon or GeForce

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, if this is better for the price than a 1 GB card.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am reusing a case dimensions 20.5"x17.5"x8" with two fans in front and four in the back, top, and side
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building
  1. Best answer
    Intel Core i5-750
    MSI P55-CD53 LGA 1156
    Combo Price: $304.98

SAPPHIRE 100279-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
    Combo Price: $229.98

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium w/ free Windows 7 upgrade
    Combo Price: $149.98

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ600MXSP 600W - $79.99

LITE-ON Black 4X Blu-ray Reader SATA Model - $59.99

Grand Total:* $824.92 (before $20 Mail in Rebate)
  2. I like this build, looks good. If someone couild give me an alternate for the video card that would drop me a little closer to the middle of my price range it would be good.

Also, how can I tell if the cooling will be sufficient?
  3. Your monitor resolution is on the high end, so if you'll be using this build for gaming you'd want a decent graphics card. What games do you play?

You case has a lot of fans so I think the cooling will be fine.
  4. My computer now has very poor graphics, but when I upgrade I plan to play games which would normally be played on an Xbox or ps3 like L4D, Call of Duty, fallout 3. I am not much of a PC gamer, but I am hoping to avoid buying a console since I need a new pc anyway.
  5. I wouldn't drop below the 4870 1gb suggested. You could save some money by going with these parts: (i5 750 + Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2 combo) $299.98

OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ500MXSP 500W ATX12V V2.2 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Retail $59.99 - $20 MIR
  6. Thanks for the advice.

How do I know what wattage I need on my power supply? The original suggestion was for a 600W, what risk do I take by buying the 500W?
  7. The 500W PSU will power your system just fine.

I have this old power supply from a computer built around 2002. Do you think I can reuse it? It seems to be in pretty good condition
  9. You linked to the same 500W OCZ PSU I linked above. Any PSU built around 2002 will not have enough power on the 12V rail to power a 4870 1GB. Re-using a 6-year-old PSU is just asking for trouble.
  10. An ocz 500W should be fine
  11. What make and wattage is it?

PSU efficiency decreases over time (it's called capacitor ageing), so it's most likely that PSU you have from 7 years ago won't output the same amount of power as it did back when it was still brand new. You'd be taking a risk if you were to re-use it, it could fail and damage some of the other hardware.
  12. Sorry I meant this one:

But I hear you, I wasn't planning on reusing it, just haven't gotten around to throwing it out yet.
  13. I certainly wouldn't risk it. That PSU doesn't have active PFC and only about 70% efficiency.
  14. And no PCIE power cables either. Definitely junk it.
  15. Just curious, does anyone want to spec out a similar AMD build?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product