4x 320gb WD blue caviar HDD on raid 0 vs 1x64gb crucial m4 SDD

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
RAID 0 on four drives means that you will lose everything if any one of the drives fails. Not a quarter of the files. EVERYTHING. That's because your entire directory is striped across the drives, and losing any one of them means losing a chunk of the file system. And using four drives means that you have a higher chance of a failure. It's not four times the risk, because some failure scenarios involve multiple drives failing, but any failure means total data loss.

RAID 0 is intended for maximum performance but it's a big risk. It makes sense to use a RAID 0 volume as a staging area for stuff that you have backed up elsewhere. If you don't have it backed up, it doesn't belong on a RAID 0 volume.

I think you'd be much better off using an SSD. Or put the 4 x 320GB drives in RAID 5 - much less risky, and you still get a performance boost over using a single drive. I suspect the SSD will still be faster than the RAID 5.

let's assume I have a schedule backup system of the array ? will this RAID 0 setup improve the performance 2X or 3X faster than a single drive ?
when i'm moving a larger file 5GB or 8 GB it begins with 65MB/s then drops to 25 MB/s between internal disk partitions, will RAID0 improve the performance and get at least a 150 MB/s transfer rate as i see on benchmarks?
if i get SSD, will i suffer the 25MB/s transfer rate between internal partitions ?
I'm speaking my own as want to setup a RAID0 Array with 4 Drives