Regarding the EPS12V sockets on certain Mobos

JCRG

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
I've always wanted to have a ATI Xfire Mobo, but most of the models i've seen require an 8-pin CPU connector; sure i've read here and there that it isn't a royal requirement to plug an 8-pin connector and some models can work with the average P4 pin; but I happen to be the perfectionist guy, so that option is a complete NO for me (and i also don't want to risk any of my hardware).
So i've come here to ask the community if there is a chance that another PSU might be used to obtain such power stability among the mobo and its components?

Kind of tough to decipher what you're asking.
Obviously another power supply ( one with an 8 pin connector ) could be used.
Can you use 2 power supplies to provide power to the single 8 pin connector on a MB ?
Probably, but there's a downside, voltage fluctuation and ripple from 2 different sources ( even if they are the exact same model ) isn't good for electronics.

You have a greater risk trying to parallel another PSU into the EPS connector. Just the first thing: outputs from the two PSU's are not going to be equal. The lower one will suck power from the one with the higher voltage out. And the plugs won't match, anyway.

If the TDP of your CPU is 120 watts or lower, just use the 4 pin plug. Or replace the PSU.

JCRG

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

How do I figure out my TDP?

JCRG

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

Well, I do plan to change most of my hardware, including my PSU, but for the moment I don't have enough money for a new one, nor for another GPU really; but i can afford a new mobo, which I need vastly, due to the fact that i can only use 2 RAM cards atm, and I would like a model that's crossfire ready.

JCRG

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009

There's no international shipping.

TIMELESS52

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

The current is only limited by the capabilities of the power supply. Furthermore, the current drawn from the power supply is just that needed to drive those components connected to it. As the components get busier, current draw is increased. It doesn't matter whether this current is supplied by 4 or 8 wires. The reason for more leads is to prevent overloading. As long as the copper wires are thick enough to handle the current, there should be no problems.