Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which is better: a fast Core 2 Duo or a slow i7 processor?

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 23, 2009 9:44:06 PM

Hi I'm planning on buying a new laptop and am trying to decide between these two HP dv6t laptops:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.d...[/url]

If you customise them you get both of them around the same price with 4GB DDR3 Ram, 320GB 7200rpm HDD, 1GB nVidia/ATI dedicated. The difference is a
Intel Core 2 Duo P7550 (2.26GHz, 3 MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB) or a i7-720QM Processor (1.6GHz, 6MB L2 Cache, 1333MHz FSB)

I intend to use the laptop as for multimedia purposes, able to easily handle audio and video and play the occasional game.

My question is will the i7 perform better than the core 2 duo despite its slower clock speed? I have heard that the i7 is better at multitasking but would it fall short of the core 2 duo when performing a single intensive task such as encoding an mp3 or playing a 3D game? Does the architecture of the i7 make up for the lower clock speed? Also is the i7 better at power management than the core duo?

Thanks!
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 10:11:08 PM

For your uses the i7-720 will be faster but will require a lot more power and will drain your battery much quicker.

You need to look up the benchmarks yourself and decide which is more important to you.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 10:14:20 PM

the slowest i7 is on par with the fastest core 2 quad
m
0
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 10:38:24 PM

Core 2 quad, not Core 2 Duo.
m
0
l
December 23, 2009 11:06:46 PM

AMW1011 said:
For your uses the i7-720 will be faster but will require a lot more power and will drain your battery much quicker.

You need to look up the benchmarks yourself and decide which is more important to you.


Thanks AMW1011. When you say benchmarks what kind would I be looking for? Are there standard benchmarks available?

Thanks!
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 11:08:41 PM

if you only running single threaded or dual threaded applications the i7 turbo mode makes up for it
m
0
l
December 23, 2009 11:13:43 PM

There's a slow i7??? :heink: 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 11:14:13 PM

depends what you gonna do with the laptop if its 3d applications look inti cinebench as benchmark if you gonna be doing encoding look at super pi and lame benchmarks for gaming 3dmark06 or 3dmark vantage
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 11:16:17 PM

in standard clocks the i7 will lag slightly behind higher clocked duals but turbo offsets the advantage a lot
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 23, 2009 11:50:45 PM

Riyock said:


My question is will the i7 perform better than the core 2 duo despite its slower clock speed? I have heard that the i7 is better at multitasking but would it fall short of the core 2 duo when performing a single intensive task such as encoding an mp3 or playing a 3D game? Does the architecture of the i7 make up for the lower clock speed? Also is the i7 better at power management than the core duo?

Thanks!



This cpu better at multitasking and single threaded application than the core 2 duo.

How is this possible you may ask? Well with intel speed boost technology, that cpu can be a 1.6-1.7 GHz quad core/8 thread cpu or it can be a 2.8 GHz single core/ dual thread cpu.

The turbo boost mode and speed is:

4 and 3 cores @ 1.7 GHz

2 cores @ 2.4 GHz

1 core @ 2.8 GHz



Yes the core i7 micro architecture is better than the core 2's micro architecture so the performance is better. To show this performance boost, here are the desktop cpus of there architecture.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=48&p2=109

Here is the core i5 @ 2.66 and the Core 2 quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.2GHz

The core i5 uses the the same architecture as the core i7. Now yes the Core 2 quad here beat the i5, but this is the only core 2 quad that anandtech has that can beat the core i5. Now if you were to drop that speed about 200 MHz less to the Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz then the core i5 beats it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=49&p2=109

So a core i5 @ 2.66 GHz is about equal to a 3.1 GHz core 2 quad.

now for the laptops performance boost from the micro architecture, im trying to figure it out what core 2 quad mobile cpu performance equivalent to the core i7 720.

If my math is right:

3100 MHz / 2667 MHz = 1.162354705661792275965504311961

the 1.16 is the difference between core 2 quad @ 3.1 GHz and the core i5 @ 2.66Ghz performance clock for clock so:

1600 MHz x 1.16 = 1859 MHz


So a 1.9 GHz Mobile core 2 quad will equal a core i7 720 at 1.6 GHz.

Now my math could be off some where or just didn't do correctly. Although if it is correct then that what you'll need.



m
0
l
December 24, 2009 12:15:36 AM

Thanks everyone for all the great replies! I can see now how the i7 is in fact on a par if not better than core 2 duos when it comes to single thread applications thanks to turbo boost. And since i can get an i7 for the same price as a core 2 duo I'll definitely be getting it now!
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
December 24, 2009 2:36:29 PM

I have an i7 laptop with th 1.6GHz processor and it trashes my mates faster c2d in everything we throw at it.

As for battery life, I get 2.25hrs out of a 6 cell battery after configuring Win7 and using standard laptop battery testing software.
m
0
l
January 19, 2010 9:49:05 PM

Will the i7 be better than core 2 duo for Gaming purpose ?
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 19, 2010 11:12:25 PM

If the i7 is below 2.0 GHz than the core 2 duo at 2.0 GHz+, most of them are, will be far superior in gaming.
m
0
l
January 20, 2010 1:42:08 AM

There is no important difference in MHz efficiency between C2D, i7, i5, i3 for single-task applications. On SuperPi, the difference at identical frequency is under 5% (though SuperPi is sensitive to Ram latency), meaning that C2D and i3 are the fastest for having faster clocks.

But audio encoding, video encoding and several games are multitasked.
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 25, 2010 4:23:27 AM

warmon6 said:
This cpu better at multitasking and single threaded application than the core 2 duo.

How is this possible you may ask? Well with intel speed boost technology, that cpu can be a 1.6-1.7 GHz quad core/8 thread cpu or it can be a 2.8 GHz single core/ dual thread cpu.

The turbo boost mode and speed is:

4 and 3 cores @ 1.7 GHz

2 cores @ 2.4 GHz

1 core @ 2.8 GHz



Yes the core i7 micro architecture is better than the core 2's micro architecture so the performance is better. To show this performance boost, here are the desktop cpus of there architecture.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=48&p2=109

Here is the core i5 @ 2.66 and the Core 2 quad Extreme QX9770 @ 3.2GHz

The core i5 uses the the same architecture as the core i7. Now yes the Core 2 quad here beat the i5, but this is the only core 2 quad that anandtech has that can beat the core i5. Now if you were to drop that speed about 200 MHz less to the Core 2 Quad Q9650 @ 3.00GHz then the core i5 beats it.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/default.aspx?p=49&p2=109

So a core i5 @ 2.66 GHz is about equal to a 3.1 GHz core 2 quad.

now for the laptops performance boost from the micro architecture, im trying to figure it out what core 2 quad mobile cpu performance equivalent to the core i7 720.

If my math is right:

3100 MHz / 2667 MHz = 1.162354705661792275965504311961

the 1.16 is the difference between core 2 quad @ 3.1 GHz and the core i5 @ 2.66Ghz performance clock for clock so:

1600 MHz x 1.16 = 1859 MHz


So a 1.9 GHz Mobile core 2 quad will equal a core i7 720 at 1.6 GHz.

Now my math could be off some where or just didn't do correctly. Although if it is correct then that what you'll need.


Terribly wrong out there.... First of all, due to the change in the micro-architecture, the math ain't all that simple thatit boils down to simple division and multiplication.

And secondly, comparison of a dual core processor (core i5 is dual core, and so is core i3, and not quad core) and intel core 2 quad is different from that of intel core i7 (quad) and intel core 2 quad, both are which are quad cores as their names suggest. , and if a dual core processor with Nehalem micro-architecture comes in that close to an Intel core 2 (quad) extreme processor, there's no saying what ass your i7's gonna kick... :D 
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
January 25, 2010 5:26:16 AM

The i5 he was talking about is the i5 750 and is a quad core cpu.
m
0
l
Anonymous
January 25, 2010 7:49:02 AM

someguy7 said:
The i5 he was talking about is the i5 750 and is a quad core cpu.


Oopsies!

Well actually, my research involved only mobile processors (which is also the question in this forum topic, although i'll be frank and confess, i didn't know core i5 also featured quad core processors), and since also i5-mobile processors are dual cores, I probably extended the trend to the entire core i5 family. Although its only the i5-7xx and i5-7xxS families withing the i5 family that are actually quad core.

My bad!!!
m
0
l
!