Important: Old HD in new system

shadowf0x

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I just built a new system with new mobo and everything. Can I use my old HD with Vista 32-bit and run my new system off that? The old HD is from a HP desktop (so I guess OEM Vista). I need an answer fast because I am trying to run off the old HD but its not working! Thanks in advance!

Solution
Nope, cannot do that. Windows will not recognize the MOBO, as it will still be tethered to the old one (i.e. the chipset). You'll have to wipe the HDD and reinstall windows.

shadowf0x

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks mate I understand. Any idea how I can get all my data from that harddrive (the one with Vista installed) because my HP desktop no longer works.. Can I view it as a storage drive somehow through a different OS?

Sure. You can purchase another HDD for the OS and install both in the computer. Then you can drag your files over. You could also buy an external enclosure and temporarily storing the files on another computer (if one is available).

Your old hard drive will work only if the new motherboard chipset is the same as the old one.

If you have an old hard drive, you will get better performance with a newer technology drive. They are not that expensive. Install your new OS on the new drive first. Then attach your old hard drive, and you should have access to all the data files on it. Applications will have to be reinstalled.