Stripe Size and File System Block Size in RAID5

Is there any connection between Stripe Size and the Partition Block Size?

I've set my Stripe Size to 64kB and created a partition in this RAID with Block Size set to Standard in Win7(I believe that's 4 kB?). This partition will handle a wide array of files ranging from 2 kB to 15 MB. Is this a safe bet for performance, or should I go for Stripe Size and Partition Size to be identical?
3 answers Last reply
More about stripe size file system block size raid5
  1. "Raid" Controller is ICHR9 with 3 Samsung 2 TB Hard Drives connected.
  2. best stick with default setting that Intel recommends

RAID5 performance using software raid (Intel raid) is poor at best...

also aslong as your aware it only protects against a single drive failure - wont help for deletion, corruption or virus's and if one drive fails most likely the others being the same age and ware will also fail at the same time
  3. apache_lives said:
    best stick with default setting that Intel recommends

RAID5 performance using software raid (Intel raid) is poor at best...

also aslong as your aware it only protects against a single drive failure - wont help for deletion, corruption or virus's and if one drive fails most likely the others being the same age and ware will also fail at the same time

Intel recommends Stripe Size 64 kB, but has no recommendation for Block Size on partitions created. I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if the Stripe Size and Block Size are different ...but if anyone can confirm or deny, that would be nice.

As for backup, I'm only using RAID5 for redundancy, not backup.
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID File System Partition Connection Storage