Sign in with
Your question

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Overclocking/Unlocking Problem

Last response: in Overclocking
January 13, 2012 4:06:18 PM

Hi I'm trying to unlock the 2 hidden cores and overclock the Amd Phenom II X4 960t. My problem is when I unlock the two hidden cores to 6 in the first two versions of my bios it boots up fine with no problem other then I can't see the temps at all, its 0C. In the third and most recent version of my bios it wont boot at all and freezes at the Windows logo screen every single time. In CPUID-CPU-Z its says its been unlocked to six cores, in the task manager ect. so I know the cores have been unlocked but I need to see the temp. BTW I'm not using the stock cooler I'm using the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 in a dual fan push pull setup, I'm using Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. I can see the temps fine when the cores are locked to 4 in any version of the bios, and I'm averaging 18C-20C idle and 25C-35C playing Crysis maxed out at 1080p averaging 40fps . My motherboard is a Biostar A770E3. My gpu is a Sapphire AMD Radeon HD 6850, with 4GB of Kingston ValueRAM. Like I said I'd like to overclock and I'd like to have the 6 cores and I think I have adequate cooling but if I can't see the temp I'm not chancing it. Ive been using Speedfan and AMD Overdrive to monitor temps and its says 0C on both when two extra cores are unlocked. I'm thinking about reformatting and reinstalling windows to Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit, I'm using Windows Ultimate 64 bit right now, maybe that will make a difference. If anyone has any suggestions at all please help me.
a c 146 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
a b À AMD
January 13, 2012 5:18:40 PM

OCing and unlocking can present challenges. There was a reason that CPU was sold as an x4 vs. x6 product. You may have just found the reason why. So what is more important? 6 cores at stock OR 4 cores OCed? Given that most apps can hardly take advantage of 4 cores, I recommend you stick to 4. Up to you, but this is a hardware issue and re-installing Win 7 will likely be a waste of time.

Good luck!
m
l
February 8, 2012 8:33:11 AM

got the same problem when I unlocked mine so put it back to x4 but I will try and reinstall windows at some point
m
l
February 21, 2012 1:25:37 PM

Hi all :) 

Why don't you use the CPU/socket reading ?

Speedfan - http://www.almico.com/speedfan445.exe

Hardware monitor - http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Since my CPU temps don't change when running x6, its safe to assume that the core temps will be about the same. (I ran these before I thought about lapping my cpu.)

*with the help of a little 0C air blowing in the window :D 

x4 @4ghz 1.4v. - 3dmark06 CPU 37C max , w/ Zalman CNPS 9900NT

x6 @4ghz 1.4v - 3dmark06 CPU 37C max

x4 Prime95 - Lapped cpu , 3.5ghz 1.3v 24/7 OC

So, don't worry about the cores. :)  Unlock that baby and enjoy !

pEACe

m
l
!