Sign in with
Your question

Asus M4A785D-M PRO Problems (no output)

Last response: in Motherboards
March 25, 2010 7:00:14 PM

Hi, just upgraded my setup (new mobo, cpu fan, cpu) and the system boots correctly (fans and everything start up correctly) but - I get no video.
There is one "beep" when I start it up, any ideas? I've tried pushing the GPU further in since that's probably the problem(?), but while I'm off reseating the damned thing I'd really appreciate some further input. :) 
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 7:14:11 PM

Question have you tried it with the onboard video?
March 25, 2010 7:21:25 PM

So disconnect the GPU and then boot?
Ok i'll try that, HOWEVER there is 1 cable I couldn't find an opening for on the mobo, it's labeled "1394" and the pins WOULD technically fit on one of the internal USB ports, but the mobo user guide said that I shouldn't do that because it could seriously hurt the board.
Could that have any impact? It's a wire that looks like it's coming from the frontboard.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 7:30:13 PM

Yea that has nothing to do with your video that is for a Firewire port on your front panel. Its like a USB but shaped differently and faster.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 7:32:28 PM

What GPU you using also? Because if you do get video with onboard I think I might no what the problem is.
March 25, 2010 7:53:16 PM

saaiello said:
What GPU you using also? Because if you do get video with onboard I think I might no what the problem is.

Yes, Im now replying from the setup in question, when I removed the GPU (8800 512mb) it all started up nicely. However it's kind of laggy, I guess that's because this onboard video is really crappy, ohwell.
What's your idea? :) 
*edit: RAM, PCU, HDD and temps are all fine, just the 8800 that's acting up.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 8:06:19 PM

OK so I read you manual a little and found out a few things the onboard video will control the video to be routed thru the motherboard til you tell it not to be. So go into bios and go to the chipset page you will see stuff about Memory config and some other stuff towards the bottom you will see internal graphics under Primary Video Controller you have to figure out which one tells it to be the PCIE and not the internal. I think it needs to be set to PCI-GFX0-GPP-IGFX but it doesn't tell me much from the manual it should say more in the bios to what each one does.

Good Luck
March 25, 2010 9:03:53 PM

Okay, tried once with the PCI-GFX0 setting, but it didn't work - however I noticed while booting now that Plug n' Play was disabled, I'll try again with it on now, just really tedious seating and removing the gpu between each test, oh well..
I'll report back asap and thanks for the help :) .
*EDIT* By the way, the monitor is hooked up to the Mobo's exit, since my monitor doesn't have the same exits as my GPU, could this be an issue? But on the other hand I had the same setup (monitor to mobo) on my old mobo and it didn't give me any of these problems.
*EDIT2* Did not work, bah so tired.
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 133 à CPUs
March 25, 2010 10:33:42 PM

You will not see the video on screen unless you are connected to the monitior the only way you could use the video card thru the motherboard is if you had an ATI card and use the Hybrid crossfire but since you have a nvidia card you will have to use one or the other.
March 26, 2010 7:57:13 AM

saaiello said:
You will not see the video on screen unless you are connected to the monitior the only way you could use the video card thru the motherboard is if you had an ATI card and use the Hybrid crossfire but since you have a nvidia card you will have to use one or the other.

Uh? What do you mean, do I have to connect the monitor to the exits on my video card?
Sorry for being a little slow:) .
*Edit* Got a VGA-DVI cable and it now works, thanks alot for the help :D  :D 
!