24/7 HTPC / Home Server

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
I'm seeking opinions on the best combination of processing power, initial cost and running cost involved if I'm going to buy a 24hr HTPC/Home Server. To make it simple lets assume I'm able to get any component that exists on the planet.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: ASAP

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watch Full HD movies, run Win 7 with Media Centre, stream movies & audio Wirelessly throughout the house, torrents, capable of playing some low graphic intensive 3D games (in my case FIFA 09)

IMPORTANT FACTORS TO CONSIDER: Power consumption since it's running 24/7, enough power to do all the tasks mentioned above concurrently, quiet operation

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe if it can be justified

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No considering the power usage

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Full HD 1920 x 1080

stumpystumped

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
Personally I haven't had much experience with AMD based systems in recent years. Please keep that in mind when reading my reasons.

Option 1:

Nvidia ION based Atom N330 system

Pro: This would obviously be the lowest power consumption system
Cons: Firstly will it have enough power to run so many programs concurrently (I'm not sure), secondly the initial cost of a Nvidia ION based MB or pre-built system is quite expensive

Option 2:

Pentium Dual Core E6300 with G31 + discrete graphics

Pro: The major benefit here is the inital cost, which is very low, G31 MB are the cheapest about. This system will definitely be able to handle all the tasks listed above. Power consumption is decent probably around 50-60W idle.
Cons: Probably there won't be optical audio output.

Please post your preferred system and reasons.

My suggestion would be -
1. AMD Sempron 140 Sargas + 2. GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H AM3/AM2+/AM2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.262556

Pros:
1. Low power consumption
2. Onboard graphics can easily handle 1080p playback
3. Cheap
4. There is a possibility of unlocking the 2nd core on that Sempron. Just read its reviews.

Cons:
Just not sure how well you will be able to play on that CPU and mobo. But you sure can if you are able to unlock the 2nd core...

djbrad007

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
You may want to check the upcoming ZOTAC ION ITX-F mb.

Atom 330 ion + PCI-E 16x slot if you want to add a better GPU later.

I am using the IONITX-D-E as htpc 1080p/file server without any problem.

However, it does not have enough cpu/graphic power for games.

Regards,

Brad