ASROCK X58 Extreme LAN issues

shanekoller

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Just built a new PC using an ASROCK X58 Extreme. Using the onboard LAN.

Internet had been up, running and functioning great. Was downloading Vista Updates for days. Fixed an audio issue, rebooted and when she came back up no internet.

When i do a diagnose ad repair i get: This computer does not have a network adapter installed and configured.

CMD>ipconfig gives:

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connecion* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Cables, routers and router ports all tested with known good equipment and come out fine.

Uninstalled and reinstalled original drivers with same results.

Newer version of the LAN drivers report "no NIC"

Confused, any help would be appreciated.

shanekoller

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009

shanekoller

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Yes, ethernet was still enabled.

Oddly, this appears to have repaired itself after about 8 reboots. Have no idea why it happened.

shanekoller

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Just wanted to follow up in case anyone else was doing a search due to identical complications.

Some of the ASROCK X58 Extreme boards have issues with the LAN not triggering. If you have:

* No lights on the LAN Port
* No recognition from router
* Driver saying no card when attempting to re-install the driver

This very well might be the case with your board. If you choose not to RMA or return the board you have (as this appears to be the case with many of the boards)

UNPLUG THE CORD FROM THE POWER SUPPLY FOR 10-20 SECONDS, reinsert cable and boot up. Should work fine now.

This has been successful everytime the issue came up since i read it. 4 or so times.

G

I had exactly the same case as you, and your solution seemed to fix the problem. Thanks!

mpassell

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2009

By the way, I was just on the ASRock website and noticed that BIOS v1.60 was released on Nov 17. The description of it says, "Enhance LAN connectivity or Fix some LAN loss issues." I'm not sure if that'll fix the problem, but it sure sounds promising.

General downloads for X58
Windows 7 64-bit downloads

mkovalcson

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

kevinchen

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I updated the BIOS v1.60 three weeks ago and I still have no connection every once in a while. The unplug thing does work. But it's frustrating having to do so. If anyone has a better solution, please let me know. Thanks,

ebug

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2010
I had the same problem. Unplugging the power is one solution but the hassle was not worth it and I have no time with RMA. So I got a $30 something Intel gigabit lan card and smack it to one of the pci. 100% connection. I read that other X58 mobo have the same exact problem not just Asrock.

G

[strike]Hi guys! Maybe I found the Solution to this problem..

# Try to go to Control Panel -> System -> Hardware Tab -> Device Manager
OR
# open the "run command" window via WIN+R and type "devmgmt.msc" without quotes

# find the integrated network adapter and double click it. I tshould be something like "Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller"

# Click on the "Energy Saving" Tab and uncheck all the checkboxes.

# Close the window by clicking OK, save your unsaved files and reboot the machine

# :)

# Let me know if this worked for you

[strike]PS: I then rechecked the checkboxes and the MoBo still runs like a charm!
Forgive me for my poooor english but it's not my first language :sweat:

[EDIT] Do not re-enable Energy Saving or it will stop working [EDIT][/strike]

[EDIT2] Sorry guys. I rebooted like 30 times and everything worked fine. the 31st time I rebooted the problem showed up again..

Let's hope in a new BIOS from ASRock! [EDIT2]

Upset User

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I found out that the problem is the Intelligent Energy Saver utility that comes with the mobo, i install all the drivers from the CD and when you install the whole thing automatically sets it as default, anyways, that power savings option allows the computer to go to sleep, (which i never use), that causes this whole issue to start with. I took it back to where i got it from, cause only bought it a few months ago, and they told me they can take it back but they have to send it back to Asia to see if they can fix it, it all take a whole month if i get lucky, however this is too much of a hassle for me so just for the sake of it im taking it back cause i can't be bothered trying to fix something that shouldn't have broken in the first place AND its warranty covered so meanwhile i'm buying another one, i guess im picking an american brand this time just because when something brakes they just solve the issue by giving you a new one (no hassle)