H50 vs 212 EVO

Blorp Kola

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Hey guys, I want to overclock my AMD Phenom II x6 1055t to about 3.5Ghz but I am not sure which cooler to get. The Hyper 212 Evo for £28, or the H50 for £50. Will the H50 give me twice the performance of the 212 because it is twice the price? If not is the 212 evo good enough to OC to 3.5 and keep me under 70C.
Thanks

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Actually the Hyper 212 is a better cooler than the H50. The Hyper 212's problem is that it is a big air cooler and may have issues with the room in your case. Both coolers should keep the temps below 70C at idle but the question is how they perform at full load (or the load that you subject them to). In all prabability the 212 will keep the temps under 70C.

Blorp Kola

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
The cooler is 159 mm tall and the width of my case is about 190mm. With the height of motherboard and CPU etc, do to think it will fit?

Depends on if you have a fan installed in the left panel. If not, then you should be fine.

BTW, the H50 and 60 are very low budget water coolers. As such, they would probably be louder than a quality air cooler which kinda defeats the purpose. Plus not being as effective.

The H80 is better, but still louder than the H100. I really don't recommend closed loops unless its the H100, or maybe the Antec 920. But head to head comparisons show the H100 to be superior to the 920, especially in the noise dept.

Its odd because water has such a better thermal conductivity compared to air, but really most folks don't need water cooling and most WC solutions are not as effective as air coolers. I think it has to do with air cooling has been around for so long and the process for effciency has really matured along the way. Also the heat has to pass through very thick metal water blocks to get to the water which doesn't seem the most efficient way to dissipate the heat.

Anyway for the majority of PC owners, water cooling is neither very efficient nor cost effective.

Blorp Kola

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
I don't have a fan on the left panel, so I should be good to go.
I can see what your saying about water cooling. Someone told me to build a custom watercooling loop, but it would of cost me about £150, I mean it looks cool but that a huge amount of money just to cool a CPU.
Thanks for your help.

Yep, and the most effective water cooling loops are custom designed. For me, I would want a budget of $300us at the very least. Try convincing your wife of that.

JackMomma

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I'll be honest and say that the H50 isn't great at cooling overclocks. I've got it running on my i7,-970, but it never gets stressed enough to really heat it up, so it works for me... but on my old Q6600 which i OC'd to 3.4 (similar i'd say to what you're doing thermally) the H50 was waaaayyy worse than a Tuniq Tower 120 that I ran (big ol' air cooler from a few years back). Stick with air.