Suggestion for a LAPTOP with "line in"

OK, I've "given up" trying to find a notebook that meets my specs AND is
"light". I'm going to settle for one that has "built-in" speakers, a "line
in" port and preferably a "built-in" microphone. So what's available?

thanks, ken

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

    On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 13:03:19 -0500, Ken Bouchard <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net>
    wrote:

    > OK, I've "given up" trying to find a notebook that meets my specs AND is
    > "light". I'm going to settle for one that has "built-in" speakers, a
    > "line in" port and preferably a "built-in" microphone. So what's
    > available?

    The Acer Aspire 2000 and 2020 (not 2010) line of notebooks have good
    sound, as well as most of the Fujitsu Lifebooks and Apple Powerbooks. But
    most notebooks simply aren't made to handle difficult sound-editing
    chores, especially because it's hard to cut down on interference in such a
    compact package. Why not try an external sound card? And it's a worthy
    investment because you can take your sound hardware from computer to
    computer, after upgrades, etc. :)

    http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/20040223/index.html

    "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message

    > OK, I've "given up" trying to find a
    > notebook that meets my specs AND is
    > "light". I'm going to settle for one
    > that has "built-in" speakers, a "line
    > in" port and preferably a "built-in"
    > microphone. So what's available?

    Would you possibly tell us a little
    about what are your specs? Otherwise
    it could be difficult to come up with
    answers to your question.

    dk

    actually, my "specs" are pretty simple: a fast cpu,256 G memory, around 40
    GB HDD, Win XP
    and "built-in" speakers. (and of course a "line in" port.)

    thanks, ken

    --

    "Dan Koren" <dankoren@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > OK, I've "given up" trying to find a
    > > notebook that meets my specs AND is
    > > "light". I'm going to settle for one
    > > that has "built-in" speakers, a "line
    > > in" port and preferably a "built-in"
    > > microphone. So what's available?
    > >

    > Would you possibly tell us a little
    > about what are your specs? Otherwise
    > it could be difficult to come up with
    > answers to your question.
    >

    > dk

    You may have difficulty finding a good notebook with Line-In. Most just
    seem to have a mono mic socket. Another option is to use an external USB
    sound card. The Creative SoundBlaster MP3 is small and inexpensive and will
    allow you a better choice of computers.

    Be careful relying on built-in microphones - they can be pretty bad at
    picking up background noise - such as cooling fans and CD drives spinning
    up.

    David

    "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > OK, I've "given up" trying to find a notebook that meets my specs AND is
    > "light". I'm going to settle for one that has "built-in" speakers, a "line
    > in" port and preferably a "built-in" microphone. So what's available?

    I know that some laptops (my Thinkpad T40) come with a line-in if you
    use it with the docking station (or a port-replicator I think), but I
    presume this won't be helpful if you're looking for a laptop? Also,
    to change the level of the microphone socket, you need an extra (IBM)
    plug-in, which I haven't downloaded, but doubt that it will provide
    line-in quality. However, it is stereo.

    If it's any help my T40 has an excellent output from the line-out
    (headphone socket) that is pretty close to hi-fi standard.

    The microphone on it is terrible - being attached to the body of the
    laptop is only useful for telephone-quality recording.

    An external USB soundcard would be a very good idea. The
    Extigy/Audigy(which one?) will provide hifi output (I think- haven't
    tested it but assumed so) and a line-in.

    Duncan.

    "David Lee" <davidlee_malvern@dont.use.this.bit.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > You may have difficulty finding a good notebook with Line-In. Most just
    > seem to have a mono mic socket. Another option is to use an external USB
    > sound card. The Creative SoundBlaster MP3 is small and inexpensive and will
    > allow you a better choice of computers.
    >
    > Be careful relying on built-in microphones - they can be pretty bad at
    > picking up background noise - such as cooling fans and CD drives spinning
    > up.
    >
    > David
    >
    > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > OK, I've "given up" trying to find a notebook that meets my specs AND is
    > > "light". I'm going to settle for one that has "built-in" speakers, a "line
    > > in" port and preferably a "built-in" microphone. So what's available?

    It looks like "Acer" has some Laptops with the appropriate equipment. One
    thing: Does anyone know what they mean when they specify that a certain
    Laptop has "stereo microphone/line in"? Wonder if that means your input with
    "line level" is going to run through a microphone preamp. Won't that
    overload the A/D converter?
    Also wondering how Acer handles their warrantee. Do they have good "phone
    support"? How about "depot" repair? My daughter will be in Waco TX, can she
    get it fixed locally if it breaks? What kind of warrantee do they have on
    the display?

    thanks, ken

    --

    > Also wondering how Acer handles their warrantee. Do they have good
    > "phone support"?

    phone support is very good.

    > How about "depot" repair? My daughter will be in Waco
    > TX, can she get it fixed locally if it breaks?

    yes they have agreements with various services places all over north
    america, and usually promise a 1 day turnaround time. their head offices
    are in texas too.

    > What kind of warrantee
    > do they have on the display?

    you can check out their warranties online. they are sold with a 1=year,
    but you can upgrade to 'accident protection' for 1 or 3 years.

    - joshua
  8. Quote:

    You may have difficulty finding a good notebook with Line-In. Most just
    seem to have a mono mic socket. Another option is to use an external USB
    sound card. The Creative SoundBlaster MP3 is small and inexpensive and will
    allow you a better choice of computers.

    > in" port and preferably a "built-in" microphone. So what's available?

    You are wrong.
    I was found the following ...

    .......The most sophisticated cases, besides having frontal USB ports, also have plugs for microphone (mic in) and loudspeakers (or ear phones), a feature makes installing a microphone or ear phones in a PC very easy, since we don't need to take the case and look for a place into which install such peripherals (or even loudspeakers). Moving the case is really an inconvenience, even worse if it is still fitted to an order-made piece of furniture, for instance.

    click to enlarge
    Figure 1: Detail of case with front USB ports and on-board audio jacks.
    To use those plugs, your motherboard needs to have an integrated sound card (in other words, on-board sound). The installation, however, it is not as simple as it seems, and we will explain in today's column how it has to be done.
    A group of seven wires leaves the plugs. At the end of each wire there is a small black connector, and, in this connector, we can read the function of the wire. You will find the following wires: Mic In (or Mic Data), Ret L, Ret R, L Out (or Ear L), R Out (or Ear R) and two Gnd (or Ground). If you watch carefully, the Ret L and L Out wires are connected to each other, the same happens between the Ret R and R Out wires. If your case also has an input plug (line in), there will be two other wires: Line In L and Line In R.

    click to enlarge
    Figure 2: Wires of the frontal plugs of the case.
    You have to look for the place of installation of such wires in your motherboard. This place is indicated as Audio, External Audio, Ext Audio, Front Audio, F Audio, or something like that. This place consists of a 9-pin connector, and there are two jumpers installed, making the connection of some of these pins. The exact position of this connector varies depending on the motherboard model, and you will need its manual to precisely locate it.

    click to enlarge
    Figure 3: Place on the motherboard where the case wires have to be installed.
    To install the wires, the first step is to understand the pin numbering system of the motherboard connector. There are nine pins in the connector, but the connector is considered a 10-pin one because one of the pins was removed (pin 8). The jumpers connect pins 5 and 6 and 9 and 10. As there is the space without a pin (pin 8), it is easy to discover the numbering of the other pins. Notice that the pins are oddly numbered to one side of the connector (1 to 9) and evenly numbered to the other (2 to 10).

    Figure 4: Motherboard audio header pin-out.
    Remove the jumpers. The connection of the wires must be made the following way: Mic In to pin 1; Gnd to pins 2 and 3; R Out to pin 5; Ret R to pin 6; L Out to pin 9, and Ret L to pin 10.
    • Learn how to install the frontal USB ports shown in Figure 1.

    Print Version | Send to Friend | Add to Del.icio.us | Bookmark Article | Comments (4)

    Related Content
    • How On-Board Audio Works
    • Computer Port Extension
    • AMR, CNR and ACR slots
    • How To Connect Your PC to Your Home Stereo or Home Theater
    • What is High Definition Audio

Laptops Notebooks