Still won't post, even after RMAs?

Kenrn44

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I've built a machine before with no problems. I've had complete success in my first build. However, this new build is stuck in a F3, F6 loop. Specs are below.

We RMAed the CPU, RAM, and Mobo to make sure they're ok. We got all 3 back and the comp is giving us the same issues , F3, F6, F3, F6, 62, crash, start over... We've tried all 3 different sticks of RAM in each different spot (AGAIN), all but one spacer spot is filled, the heatsink is properly seated (tested many times).....nothing. I have no idea what to do or what tell my friend. We just cannot ever get it to post. Any suggestions? Is everything compatible? Is the PSU fine not powerful enough?

What are some retarded, simple things I can try or may have messed up in the building of this computer. I can't even begin to know where to troubleshoot....

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Retail

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported ... - Retail

Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

And what makes you come to that conclusion? Did you go through every step in the checklist linked above. Problems like this are more often user error than DOA hardware. You need to stop randomly replacing perfectly fine components and systemically try to determine what's causing the problem. That's what the checklist is designed to do if you take the time to perform EVERY step. What does your motherboard owners manual say about the F3 and F6 errors? Do you have a system speaker installed?

Are you sure you used the correct RAM slot when trying each stick of RAM by itself? You'll have to double check in your owners manual, but most X58 boards require you to use the RAM slots starting with the one further from the CPU. That would be the grey slots in your case. If you can get it to boot with one stick of RAM installed then you need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the recommended specs in the BIOS.

I'm not sure why I'm typing this since all these recommendations are already in the checklist.

Kenrn44

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
I've run through the checklist countless times. The 8 pin is plugged in fine, the 24 is in very snug. 9 out of 10 stand offs are filled on the motherboard. One is left open because it doesn't completely match up when all others are screwed in. We've bread boarded the system, testing one thing at a time, making sure everything is completely seated perfectly.

We've tried 6 different sticks of RAM, each one in each different slot in every possible combination you could ever imagine.

The CPU has been checked for bent pins, replaced, re-thermal pasted yadda yadda..multiple times. The fan is working properly.

We stood on cardboard, with an antistatic strap, AND touching the metal case every time we handled a piece of equipment.

The speaker on the mobo fine. We didn't bother plugging in the HD,power, reset cords because we can boot from the power button onboard.

CMOS was reset plenty of times.

The only things I can come up with is incompatible something. According to the EVGA website, the processor is supported. The memory wasn't specifically supported:

OCZ3G1600LV6GK was what we bought
OCZ3G1600V6GK is what EVGA says is supported.

I've spent countless hours testing everything in every combination I could think of. I don't have another system that supports the DDR3 memory or an i7 processor so I can't do any testing with another computer.

Like I said...I've built a system before 10x more recklessly than this system. I had it perfect on my first boot of my first system. This one however, is giving me hell.

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007

Plug them in. Computers work in mysterious ways, and it sounds like you should be exhausting all of your options. Also re-do all of your wiring and use the motherboard manual to make sure it's correct. I can tell your components are fine, you're just missing a detail. It happened to me when I did my last build, but eventually I fixed it after looking around at everything carefully.

For clarity, tell us what you mean by an "F3, F6 loop"?

If you have breadboarded the system, and really done all the other stuff you say, then plug in a different psu. If you need to swap in a different vid card to do that (ie, a smaller psu), do that too. The PSU is the only thing you haven't fooled with, and its the most likely candidate to give wierd results.

Kenrn44

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
We had plugged in the HD, Rest, and Power tower cords initially at the very start. We had EVERYTHING plugged in and it still gave us the F3, F6 loop.

So, here's what it does:

We hit power. There is no image on screen. The onboard debug screen says F3, then F6, then F3, then F6, then says 62 right before it shuts down. It then boots right back up and does it again until we turn of the PSU switch.

I agree computers work in mysterious ways. I haven't plugged in the new monitor with every single configuration. I haven't tested the PSU fully....but Christ....shouldn't a computer post with just a cpu, ram, a PSU, and mobo?

Frustrated to say the least. I've googled a lot about this issue. Many folks are finding it to be the memory being an issues. Some people have luck with one stick, changing timings, and then throwing in the rest of the sticks. Some folks buy different sets of ram.

I've pretty well educated myself on building systems. I've done all the troubleshooting I've named. Unless anyone can think of anything else, I'm going to try a different make of memory.

One of the reasons one won't post is the psu. What happens if you try with no memory - do you get the "no memory" beeps?