Sign in with
Your question

Putting New Motherboard in Saturday-any key things to remember?

Last response: in Motherboards
March 26, 2010 12:51:15 AM

I am changing the motherboard on Saturday. I have never done this before, but it doesn't look too difficult. I am pretty good with computers-changed basically everything else in a computer except for this.

I am going from an AMD x2 6000 to an I5-750.

I know the board will fit-it is a Micro Atx.

I am just not sure what other things I need to do/remember to make sure the process runs relatively smoothly.

Any tips? Thank you in advance.

Jim
a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2010 2:19:59 AM

Spend a little while reading the manual beforehand.

Take a couple of pictures beforehand. Just so you don't end up forgetting where/how to plug in connectors later.

Ground yourself while working.

Give yourself plenty of time (not tired) and a large workspace (dining table great).

Keep any pets, particularly cats (and rodent like dogs) away.

And if anything seems out of place, post and ask.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
March 26, 2010 6:32:53 AM

If you're not replacing the other components at the same time, remember you need to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows once you have the new mobo in.

If you don't, you'll be stuck in driver conflict hell and your system will crash all the time, if it works at all. That's one thing they don't tell you anywhere, and you learn the hard way the first time you try to replace just the motherboard.

Also, have you changed a CPU before? If not, don't forget the thermal paste. It's hugely important.

Also, things go a lot easier if you attach the CPU, heatsink, and memory BEFORE you put the board into the case.
m
l
Related resources
March 26, 2010 8:01:53 AM

Watch some Youtube videos on applying thermal paste. I found some of them quite good.

This is a good cabling guide, because some of the cables might look similar:http://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/connectors....

The hardest part for me is always the tiny wires that attach to the switch and fromnt USB ports.

Call us if you need help Saturday. :D 
m
l
a c 95 V Motherboard
March 26, 2010 8:25:59 AM

As always I disagree with capt taco. If you take some steps everything will work out fine. If your only changing the mobo, don't worry about the GPU drivers. If your using the onboard sound, delete those drivers. Same with the NIC. Both CPUs are multi core, so no worries there.

The boot problems will happen if you don't change the SATA drivers. If your using IDE emulation then change the driver to windows default. This will allow you to boot on the Intel board. If you want to however you can load the SATA drivers before you shut down.

Those are the big ones. After that its just a matter of pulling the old one and putting the new one in place. Not sure I'd bother recoding where everything went, each mobo is different. You should look at the board before you put it in so you know how the front panel connects.
m
l
March 26, 2010 8:56:46 AM

Thermal paste!!! very important its applied correctly.
m
l
March 26, 2010 9:32:00 AM

sounds stupid... but dont "miss out screws" however hard they can sometimes be to get in.
m
l
March 26, 2010 4:42:50 PM

Do not over tighten the screws holding the board in!
A mother bd. is made up of several layers of circuitry. Mashing them together because you want to prove how macho you are can cause major problems. Just snug the the screws down.
m
l
March 26, 2010 4:48:44 PM

If you need a backing plate for the motherboard to support the heat sync, install it before you install the motherboard.

Put the motherboard in place and look through the mounting holes to make sure they line up with the mounting studs. Sometimes they don't. If they don't, sometimes you will have extra holes in the motherboard tray, and you can move the mounting studs around. Other times you just can't get them all lined up and you have to leave some of them out.
m
l
!