Another Help deciding which SSD to pick

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
Well, im about to pick a new system for myself, a sandy bridge that is. One component that confusing me is the SSD. I would love to pick one for my OS. 60GB is the capacity. Budget around 100USD.

Now I can go and pick anything, the reviews are a lot out there (i've done some couple of days reading,---during work hours, lol). what i reached is, they have problems. I would like to get a recommendation of which one is the least problem, and what you would advice. Keep in mind, that this system probably will last me 3-4 years (with no further investment).

I've decided to go with mobo GA-Z68PX-UD3 (not sure if it will change anything).

Btw, since im living in third world country, getting hold of every brand is not possible. So a if you recommend me 3 types would be nice. I have seen OCZ, Intel, and Kingston in the market so far.

much appreciated guys. :)

Solution
Not really. The Intel 320 had/has a bug that cause the SSD to drop in size to 8 Mbs - Ouch. Intel Released a new firware that "fixed" the problem. Appearently, it created more problems.

tecmo34

Administrator
Intel 510 is probably the least promatic of those three manufactures. The fastest will be the Vertex 3 but you have a risk of BSOD (Sandforce issue). With recent firmware updates, there should be less issues with them. I'm an OCZ supporter so I would still recommend them. :) Price wise, you can't beat Kingston so they might be your only option in your price point.

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
the Intel 510 are in the range of 200 USD. so that is out. With OCZ, what is the difference between Vertex 2, 3 and solid 3. I see the solid 3 and Vertex 2 are in 100USD.

If i should go with kingston, which type?

Umm, reading in newegg, i find many unhappy costumers. It is scaring me!

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
I've been doing more reading. Which controller would give me better reliability, lesser BSOD.

I read the Marvel are slower but more reliable. (Crucial m4). while the sandforce are kinda very buggy.

Speed is not a big factor for me (since im going from HDD to SSD) what matter is reliability.

The marvel sata III controllers are less probmatic. The Vertex II may be a good choice. The Vertex II uses the SF1200 controller and were not near the problem of the SF22xx controller based SSds. Currently have 8 SSds. The ONLY one I've had a problem with is OCZ Agillity III (Plug-&-PRAY). If You opt for the OCZ, MAKE sure you can return it else you will be stuck with it.

The biggest difference between many of the "better" choices is in Sequencial reads and Writes which is also the LEAST important parameter.

Look at Pc vantage test rather than pure bench marks as they are closer to Day-2-day performance.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4421/the-2011-midrange-ssd-roundup/6

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007

alright, Vertex 2 are not that bad.

while Agility 3 are (plug&Pray). here is a question, since both Agility 3 and Vertex 3 uses the same controller, why only one of them is P&Pray.

Noted about OCZ, wont buy if i can't return.

my Plug and PRAY comment while I only listed the OCZ Agility it is really directed toward the Whole line of SF22xx based Sata III SSDs. Just applies more to some brands than others. I've also been VERY dissapointed with OCZ Management.

You are welcome to try them. But because corporate attidude, I have taken a oath that OCZ products will NEVER see the Light of day in my computers!

You will notice I did recommend the vertex II - In My case I bought the G-Skil Phenix Pro, also have no problem buy Patriot (Have a Torqx).

night_wolf_in

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2007
ya, i think this is more than enough. I will go for the marvel controller. Reliability is very important for me. Or if not then 510 (although they come double the price since no small storage). But thanks plenty.

Now the real work starts, find crucial M4 in saudi arabia.