Migrating to diff. chipset answer, I THINK.

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
to somebody smarter than i am,
i have experienced the woes of migrating to a diff. comp. with diff. chipsets (brands) and i find the need to do it again with 7_x32 to avoid reinstalling 80+ apps and personal tweaks. why can't i take a .vhd of my installed sys. and convert it into a wim file with gimagex or dism or something and then replace the wim.install file on my install dvd with the newly created one and then push go. why wouldn't this work?
i need all of you rocket scientist to reply a.s.a.p. as i'm am ready to go, i think.

thanks to any and all,
a truly lazy person

Solution
Image your current machine with Acronis. Gather all drivers for the new motherboard and burn them to CD or thumb drive. Push the image to the hard drive with the new hardware using the Universal Restore feature, pointing it at the driver disk or drive. It will inject the drivers as it restores the image... A GREAT product... I do this every day for the US Army, one image, MANY different platforms, so I speak from real world experience!

marcellis22

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Image your current machine with Acronis. Gather all drivers for the new motherboard and burn them to CD or thumb drive. Push the image to the hard drive with the new hardware using the Universal Restore feature, pointing it at the driver disk or drive. It will inject the drivers as it restores the image... A GREAT product... I do this every day for the US Army, one image, MANY different platforms, so I speak from real world experience!

Solution

mchldpy

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010

thanks for replying so quick,
i have the enterprise server edition but i always fail going from diff. chipsets to diff. chipsets. it always wants at least the .inf file which is no big deal, if i just knew which drivers. both will be in native ide mode and both will have amd 64x2 athlons(4000+, 6000+) both gigabyte boards (amd 785, nvidea 6100-430) so you say if i point it at my driver install dvd's it will work. what major drivers for the chipsets i guess is my biggest concern otr can i point it at the whole dvd? i'm sorry about sounding so blond, but i've done some great things with acronis and my storagecraft recovery cd, just never got THIS to work. most of the time if they are the same brand chipset 7en_x86 will do it by itself. sorry about going on and on and on and ...

thanks a-big-o-bunch, seriously
michael

"please pull up to the second window"